Thread: Cyano from homemade shift camera

Cyano from homemade shift camera

I build me a 8x10 shift camera for large buildings - and that`s one of the first tests that worked out :-)
    Cyano contact copy from paper negative.

Philipp

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Phil:

This is from a paper negative? That must have been a seriously long exposure! Do you use the sun or do you have a UV light source? I like this image. Do you have any photographs of your camera that you could share with us?

hi Earl,

you are right, paper negative. The exposure time (contact copy) was 4 hours in the weak berlin sun and 3 hours under a 300W UV lamp 8) (that`s why i am looking to saltprints...)

here are some pictures of the camera:

i have got 2 lenses (sorry for that), one in the front, and one for the "shift". i used eyeglasses...
    The back can be slid out to find the focus. It has got a simple ground plate and uses standard sheet film holders.

inside it`s black - but you can see the two lenses. (yellow filter on the front lens)

the front lens has got a revolver aperature (f28-f100) the shift lens has got a 2mm hole.

that`s all - big fun to fool around with :-)

phil

Fantastic! The cyanotype is brilliant and the camera is amazing.

Best regards,

Evan

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

This is great, Phil. Thank you for the camera pictures. I need a tripod setup like that for my big cameras. I might have to steal some of your ideas.

How clever, clever, clever! Tell me please, what angle is the shift and how did you choose that particular angle?

JudyS,

it`s just like on the pic. The lens has got a 90° angle towards the middle line. From the lens to the middle of the picture is about 33cm, as i used a 3 diopter eyeglass. (f=1/diopter). The other angle (from the top) determines how much you see from the floor, when levelling out the camera. Just guess...

for me the shift is really worth the fuss ;-)

paper negative

phil

Phil...that is one savage camera!

I'm impressed with how you designed it to be able to shift without a bellows.

Brilliant.