Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 4X5 Film and developer/method

Which 4X5 Film and developer/method

I will be finishing up a new 4X5 camera I am building within the next 2 weeks. I looked at film tonight on-line and realized with the cost involved I should ask for some help. What film would you recommend for black and white use and with what developer? Also what is the best development method? Tank or tray? I see on line that there is a film called Fomapan that is being sold very inexpensively. Any experience with this film? Thanks for any advice you might be willing to give.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Mike:

Fomapan has substantial reciprocity failure correction. I would recommend Efke PL 100 or Fuji Neopan Acros 100 for film with relatively little reciprocity correction needed. I personally like to use HC110, as it is readily available, and can be mixed from the concentrate, which stores very well if kept airtight. However, having said that, I love to shoot 320TX and HP-5 as well, and I have developed in half a dozen developers with good results. Whatever you start with, stick with it for awhile until you get your sea legs before you start switching around.

Thanks Earl. I am investigating these films on line to find some decent pricing etc. Always appreciate your insight.
    Regards
    Mike

Mike: I favor HP5 and Tri-X developed in HC110 dil. B or D-76 1:1 using a Unicolor 8x10 print processing drum with roller base. The Unicolor drum will hold four 4x5 sheets and requires only 8oz. of chemistry. After the drum is loaded, the development, stop and fixer can all be done with the lights on. An online search will generate lots of info about drum processing large format film. Good luck.

Thanks Ralph. I had not considered a roller drum and will do some research on it. Seems like HC110 and D76 are both well liked and I really like the idea of one shot developers. Seems like it lends itself to consistency.
    Thanks Again
    Mike

I have processed for many years in trays. I have processed up to 20 sheets at one time but consider that a tad to many. I comfortably process 10-14 sheets at a time in 8X10 trays. I have been using Arista 100, which I believe used to be made by Ilford but now I think is Foma. I like D-76 but have become fond of HC-110 because of the convenience. I would avoid the Yankee square daylight tank. I never could get even development.
    I have recently acquired some small stainless steel tanks with hangers. I processed with this method years ago with large tanks and hangers but it is tricky avoiding processing streaks. I am going to give it a try with the small tanks.

More food for thought. Thanks Randy. I think I will try the tray method first since there are so many expenses getting back into a darkroom again.

Im a drum fan like Ralph, but that was a matter of good timing when looking around. I think there is one for sale over at APUG. Foma film good, i use it with Rodinal ( in lasts forever)

Thanks for the lead Isis. I am so busy building a new pinhole 4X5, learning development methods all over again and trying to get a darkroom set up that I have failed to take many pictures lately :-) Well it will all come in time.

I like Fuji Neopan 100 in HC-110b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast