Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Meniscus Lens Box Camera

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

8x10 Meniscus Lens Box Camera

Quote Originally Posted by 1351
    A view from the back, minus the film holder. I plan on making a removable view screen, the same size as a sheet film holder, enabling critical focus and composition. Hence the reason why I employed this novel clamping method of holding the film holder in place, without interfering with the view on the screen.

You can see two black knobs, top and bottom; these push against aluminum "L" channel rails, which clamp the film holder tightly to the camera.
    I have thought about this, too, Joe. I think for my wedge cameras with backplate, I will build in wedges on the outside edges of the viewing screen to allow focus and framing.

Nice camera, Joe. It looks beautiful and fun to use.

Joe,

Very nice. I like the 'L' for clamping the film holder very much. With 4x5, I have not had difficulty holding the film holder well, but at 8x10, life gets much more 'flexible'!

The images at f/90 are looking very nice; I am looking forward to images from the wider apertures.

Best regards,

Evan

Nice looking rig Joe. It no doubt took some time to engineer but it seems simple and hardy; two real advantages in the field.

Very good looking camera. I can't wait to see more from it.

A brief update; I don't yet have more camera images or pictures taken with it, but this weekend I'll work at it.

Last week I spent doing the finishing touches on the camera, applying some finishing varnish to the exterior wood laminate, and working with installing another light trap in the front half of the box; I was seeing external light seeping in when the box was extended for close-focus operation. I've also painted the interior flat black and installed more black adhesive craft felt. The camera is tighter to move in and out, which I hope will loosen up over time. I also completed the base plate, with tripod nut, and glued the front half to the base. Also put some metal guide rails along the rear side edges of the base board, to help the focus draw be more uniform.

I'll post more camera pictures next week. And hopefully some good images.

~Joe

PS: Oh yea, forgot to mention about portrait orientation. I sorta forgot about making the camera compatible with portrait orientation, for close-up portraits. I'll have to build an "L" tripod bracket, permitting the camera to be tilted up on its left side, film holder slot up, baseboard on the right, and still permit focus draw without the nested box getting all catywampus (sp).

Catywampus... yeah I like that word. It means kinda outtakilter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1351
    and working with installing another light trap in the front half of the box; I was seeing external light seeping in when the box was extended for close-focus operation.
    Joe,

How did you put in this light trap? Is it a line of felt around the inside trailing edge of the front box? Could you also describe the construction of the original light trap as well?

Jon

Hi Jon;

I just got back from a business trip, so I don't have additional pictures of the camera ; I'll try my hand at word pictures instead.

The design of the box uses black foamcore; the front half of the box, with the lens, is fixed to the lower base plate of plywood, and is larger than the back half, which fits inside the front. I made them snug, not much light gets inside, and what does get inside reflects off the inside front of the box, pointing away from the film plane (any light that leaks in shines toward the front of the box) which you can then line with adhesive black craft felt to absorb most of the light. But I was still seeing a bit too much light reflecting off the inside front, so I added another partition, just four walls of foamcore, made to fit snuggly inside the inner rear half of the box, attached to the front half. So the end result is that the front, fixed half of the box has a double-wall, with the rear half sliding in the gap between the two layers.

Then the outside of the front foamcore portion is covered in adhesive countertop material, to look like wood.

The rear, wooden parts that make up the frame that holds the film holder has the mating surface where the film holder snugs up against it lined with more black adhesive craft felt, as a light trap. I'm not sure if this is a real good idea with a lens focusing camera, because the squishiness of the felt may result in an inaccurate focal distance, especially with wide-open apertures with narrow DOF; this is not an issue with pinhole, obviously. So, I may modify this feature and instead just paint the wooden surface with several layers of flat black, making the film holder's position relative to the wooden frame a bit more accurate and repeatable.

I need to get out and shoot more with this camera in the coming week; I've been away to a training class and brought my digital G1 with me, didn't shoot too many pictures, however. And I didn't want to attempt to check in my box camera and film holders onto the airplane; I'd need to fashion some sort of armored carrying box for it first. I wonder what Homeland Security would think...hmm.

~Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the added information. I have been planning a sliding box lens based camera, so this helps.

Jon

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanCleave
    and still permit focus draw without the nested box getting all catywampus (sp).
    I grew up in Northwestern Montana, and I don't know if it is a local usage, or if my parents were weird, but we always said "kitty-wampus." After I settled in Minnesota, here it seems to be "catty-wampus." I guess that it might be like soft drinks - they were called pop in Montana, and here the word is soda.

In 1962, while at summer school at UC Berkeley, without thinking my Dad walked into a bar in San Francisco and ordered a ditch. The drink came sliding down the bar, with the announcement from the bartender "One ditch for the man from Montana!" I think that everywhere else they call it bourbon and water . . .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast