Thread: Dark Planet

Dark Planet

This one started out as a panoramic pinhole image on a paper negative.

Then I had some fun with it. Attached files

Dark Planet

Might be a good statement for the times; there are days I feel like I'm being sucked into a black hole.....except this ones white....still getting sucked in though ......

Dark Planet

Cool! This reminds me of some scene from a William Gibson sci-fi novel.

I was thinking that what it needs is some hand coloration, like orange & white stripes on the exhaust stack, etc.

Great work.

~Joe

Dark Planet

This is interesting Bruce, I am sure I have seen some 'little planets' on Flickr before similar to this.
    So, how did you do it.......?

Dark Planet

I like it Bruce.
    For those who are interested (sorry to give away your secrets Bruce) you can search for "little planets photoshop" to find tutorials for this online.
    There's another technique called "amazing circles" that creates a different distortion. Last Fall I posted some images from Istanbul here:
    http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1256694378/s-6/highlight-istanbul/#num6
    The image below is a digital distortion of part of the 3rd image (umbrellas on a beach)... to my eye the distorted version looks like mushrooms getting sucked into a black hole.

Attached files

Dark Planet

guys, that's very Dr Seuss of both of you...

Dark Planet

As Mark said, it's really no secret. I found the recipe in a book; but it's also on the net in various guises. The big decisions are in choosing what photo to start with; you need a panorama - this can be a simple crop or you can get very elaborate; the digital camera folk are stitching together vast numbers of images (left to right, nadir to zenith) to get their starting images. The recipe I followed recommended at least a 2:1 aspect ratio.

The other main issue will be in trying to get the "joint" to look smooth, or at least not too obvious. Your horizon needs to be absolutely level and it helps to have both ends be as similar in tonal values as possible (back to your choice of starting images). Then you apply your digital "caulk".

The center gets heavily distorted, so it's useless to have much detail there (the bottom of your pano) and probably counterproductive.

Mark - your mushrooms are delightful - surreal and wonderlandish. I was actually thinking that if I was to do anymore of these pinhole to mini-planet things that the Cameo 625 would be a great camera for getting the panos.