Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surveyor's Tripod

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Surveyor's Tripod

Today I was given a tripod substantial enough for my biggest cameras. It is a heavy wood surveyor's tripod. I rigged a 1/4-20 thumbscrew and plywood attachment setup. I might end up buying one of those fancy tilting view camera mounts, but this will do for now. The thing weighs about the same as my 12x20 camera - somewhere between 15 and 20 lbs.

Attached files

Blog Entries

Surveyor's Tripod

A closeup of one of the feet.

Attached files

Blog Entries

Surveyor's Tripod

A closer look at the top.

Attached files

Blog Entries

Surveyor's Tripod

One last shot. I won't be backpacking with this beast in the high Sierras.

Attached files

Surveyor's Tripod

That sure is a nice looking rig. Something about wooden box cameras on wooden tripods that looks ... timeless, I guess.

My new nested box camera, I don't even want to think about transporting it, except from the trunk of the car to a nearby venue.

~Joe

Surveyor's Tripod

Sa-weet Earl. If it's on that beast and moves, check your seismometer! I think you may yet become a card carrying member of the "...if it's further than 100 yards from the car, it ain't worth photographing club....

Surveyor's Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    Sa-weet Earl. If it's on that beast and moves, check your seismometer! I think you may yet become a card carrying member of the "...if it's further than 100 yards from the car, it ain't worth photographing club....
    Well said, Marv.

I feel a bit glum, though, as no one gave me a tripod today, small or large. Come to think of it, no one's ever given me a tripod. :'(

Surveyor's Tripod

The camera looks small on the tripod. Really a big boy! One of the famous large format landscape photographers, unfortunately I forgot the name, mentioned in one of his books, that he seldom has to go away more than a few meters from his car to take a picture. And getting older he couldn't do it anyway. He mentioned this in the context that you can take great pictures almost everywhere, you have to see the right subjects only. On the other hand there were photographers in the past taking pictures on huge format glas negatives and these guys were climbing even on mountains. But I suppose they were younger than we are (or richer having some people carrying everything for them).

Surveyor's Tripod

Edward Weston in his prime was about 5' 5" tall and 140 lbs. His 8x10 camera in its case weighed 30 lbs, probably without the tripod. Ansel Adams scampered up and down mountains, although often with a lighter camera. Ah, iron men with their wooden cameras!

Surveyor's Tripod

Man, oh man it looks good, solid stuff. It makes my Berlebach look like toothpicks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast