Thread: The Handmade LF Camera

The Handmade LF Camera

Hi all-
    here are some pics of the camera we made at the handmade LF workshop a few weekends ago. Following Earlj's dictum that anything can be made from black mat board (and gaffers tape) i present to you this camera... made from black mat board, gaffers tape, velcro, wax paper, schedule 40 pipe couplings, surplus achromatic douplet lens elements, one threaded t-nut, some weather stripping, spray mount and some foam core. It's a sliding box camera design with a rotating back (the beauty of a square box!) for landscape or portrait work! Attached files

The Handmade LF Camera

a few more images

Attached files

The Handmade LF Camera

Wow it's beautiful project, can u post some pic that you do with this camera?
    Have this camera a shutter??
    What film do you use?

Very good work.
    a lot of compliments

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

The Handmade LF Camera

It's a beautiful thing, Tom.

The Handmade LF Camera

Thanks Earl and Mauros.

Mauros, the shutter we used was the lens cap (paper, tape, and cardstock). We also made some 'waterhouse stops' out of paper. I'll find the picture and upload. The camera uses standard 8x10 film holders, in which we placed APHS lith film (asa ~5). For which we used a low contrast developer (soemarko lc1-b) to get negs with a full tonal range. you can see some pics made with the camera on the f295 home site here: http://www.f295.org/site/?p=666

The Handmade LF Camera

Looks a lot like my recently-completed box camera, Tom. Perhaps I was attending the workshop "in spirit."

Yes, I ditto the request to see some images from the camera.

~Joe

The Handmade LF Camera

joe - yours is infinitely nicer than this paper monster

the workshop group shot was made with the camera and there are other shots of participant negs on the F295 Site: http://www.f295.org/site/?p=666

The Handmade LF Camera

Tom, your cam is definitely not a monster (I like black cardboard and paper ) and it's working. A great project. I like the simple approach and for the results it really doesn't matter how the camera looks like. But you are right, Joe's camera is really perfect and very well built.

The Handmade LF Camera

Thanks tpersin, i see the reult on your link and it's very beautiful work. I like your camera and seem like that the result is very clean.
    Thanks for information about film that u use.

Good work.

The Handmade LF Camera

Tom, that's just too cool fer words