Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project:'Burial Grounds of County Clare'

Project:'Burial Grounds of County Clare'

Running alongside my 'Safe Havens' project on Irish Harbours I also am looking at the way we in Ireland have treated our dead down through the centuries in a study on burial grounds in County Clare on the west coast.

The project will be lengthy as it involves not only looking at modern burial grounds and the re-introduction of crematoria but also the use of dolmens, passage graves, megalithic tombs, and other places where some 3000-5,000 years ago the ashes of the dead were placed to ensure a favourable after-life.

What I intend to do is to place various examples here on this thread as the project progresses so that it keeps me on my toes and also will let F295 members have a preview of how the project is progressing.

I started taking pics on 8th April 2010 in a few of the older burial ground in the Miltown Malbay / Lahinch area.

First off... the pic below is of a leaning headstone in Kilfarboy Burial Ground.

Picture 1 Attached files

The next pic is from Freagh (pronounced Frey) a very small burial ground overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The table stones in the foreground are so covered in lichen and worn by the weather that it is impossible to know who is buried beneath.

Picture 2 Attached files

These are very nice. The softness complements the subject matter I think. I particularly affected by the first one.

I agree, these are very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Jon

Thank you both for your kind comments.

A couple more from this project.

First one is from Freagh and features one of just three stone crypts which are located in this burial ground of less than 1 acre and which looks out on the Atlantic. In Co Clare they built wonderful crypts from local stone and I will be supplying more examples of these later in the project.

The second one is from the delightfully named Cill Easpuig Fhlannain Burial Ground just north of Lahinch. The name has been anglicised to Killaspuglonane which helps most people to pronounce the name with some degree of accuracy but looking at the spelling it comes across as a bit 'clunky'. Anyway, I digress - the name Cill Easpuig Fhlannain means ...Four Masters, the church of bishop Flannan.

75mm Zone Plate on Hasselblad 503CW, Ilford HP5 13 mins Rodinal 1:50

Pictures 3 & 4 Attached files

Great great photos, lovely perspective. Nice series.

I see a lot of possibilities in these two themes. They could almost run side by side; contrasting images of complimentary designs. Take for example cilleaspaiglionain001_7454.jpg and drydockhowthharbour001_6303.jpg.. Could be fun to see.

Please do keep us apprised; these are beyond promising.

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    I see a lot of possibilities in these two themes. They could almost run side by side; contrasting images of complimentary designs. Take for example cilleaspaiglionain001_7454.jpg and drydockhowthharbour001_6303.jpg.. Could be fun to see.

Please do keep us apprised; these are beyond promising.

That's something I never thought about...running them side by side...it's a possibility alright.

I appreciate your feedback Marv, it always gives me a different perspective. Thanks.

Thanks also longbow3 for your kind comment.

Another one from this series.

This is from Kilfarboy and I was intrigued to find a small tabernacle which seemed to have been randomly placed on one of the older tablet stones. I think it was mislaid from its original position and it is possible that someone on finding the tabernacle just decided to place it on the nearest stone.

Funnily enough it looks rather well in its new position, I think.

75mm Zone Plate on a Hasselblad loaded with 400 as afilm.

Processed in Rodinal 1:50 for 15 mins.

Picture 5 Attached files

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast