Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project:'Burial Grounds of County Clare'

Project:'Burial Grounds of County Clare'

A great series of ZP pictures. Picture #3 and #4 (the second series) are my favourites.

Couple more here from Ballard Burial Ground at Miltown Malbay.

Ballard is an old burial ground and features quite a number of crypts made from local cut stone as well as a good number of flat slab graves.

In Ireland it is also the burial place of Willie Clancy, the renowned piper in whose name there is a festival of Irish traditional music which takes place in Miltown Malbay every July. The type of pipes he played are called uileann (elbow) pipes.

Pictures 6 & 7 Attached files

looks great! i agree with Marv. Lots of great possibilities here! I look forward to seeing more!

Pictures 8 & 9 Knockalassa Wedge Tomb

Been a while since I posted on this project. However, I have now moved from 18th century burial grounds to look at the burial places from pre-historic times. Between 3,000 and 5,000 years ago the ancient peoples who inhabited Co Clare chose cremation as their way of sending off their deceased and would then place the remains within wedge tombs or cromleacs, court tombs, or portal dolmens. Typically the roofstones were sloped from South to West in the direction of the setting sun.

Knockalassa Wedge Tomb is located on the lower slopes of a mountain called Sliabh Callan near Miltown Malbay. By their construction Wedge-tombs come, ├Žsthetically speaking, between Court-tombs and Portal-tombs: a little less compact and rather less striking than the latter; much more compact than the former. Their roofstones have not been chosen for their distinction, they do not have impressive portal- or jamb-stones, and they generally are not more than 1.5 metres high. They are called Wedge-tombs because they are taller and wider at the straight-fa├žaded front (which always faces south-west) than at the back. Attached files

Picture 9 Knockalassa from the south end

I forgot to add that the weather was fairly damp with a mist rolling down the mountain....

Attached files

Pictures 10 & 11 Porsoon Church

This is Porsoon Church & Burial Ground near Kilshanny Co Clare. Many old churches which had fallen into disuse or were abandoned were often used as extra space for burials and so one can often come across scenes such as this where grave stones fill the inner areas of what once would have contained pews, aisle and altar.

In this scene (pic 10) we are looking from what was the 'inside' out through the main entrance. The lovely cut stone is still very nice to look at although some bits and pieces have become dislodged and are lying around here and there.

Pic 11 meanwhile shows how the space within the eaves has been used for burials over the years.

I loved the light that was present on the day I visited as it was typically Clare light...bright yet muted and perfect for the purpose...to record burial places. Attached files

You continue a strong string of photos. #11 is a geometric feast for the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    You continue a strong string of photos. #11 is a geometric feast for the eyes.
    Thank you very much , Marv.

Pictures 12 & 13 Ballard Burial Ground re-visited

I had a good wander around Ballard Burial Ground in Miltown Malbay recently and was impressed by how people used locally quarried stone in the past to commemorate the last resting place of loved ones.

The crypts in this part of Clare are quite plain but beautifully cut.

In picture 12 here I have tried to show the 'street' of crypts which can be found in this burial ground.

In picture 13 one can see that on one of the crypts the stone roof has collapsed and has been replaced over time by an earthen roof upon which grass has now taken root.

Hasselblad with 75mm zone plate (a type of pinhole).

Fuji 400 rated @ 320 asa in Rodinal 1:50 for 14 mins Attached files

Great continuation of a great series.

Keep it going!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast