Thread: Fog with Rising Stonehenge?

Fog with Rising Stonehenge?

has anyone else experimented with Rising Stonehenge paper ? I've used it effectively for Van Dyke prints, but with Salt prints the paper fogs before the silver nitrate dries... i'm using a recipe that calls for a sizing/ammonium chloride (2%) and then a 12% silver nitrate. just to make sure it was the paper I dipped a small corner into some silver and it too dried to a nice black fog..... I've read of others using this paper for salt and I really like it, but it seems the batch I have is unusable (for salt)

any input appreciated - paper suggestions welcome too!

tom

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Tom:

I suggest that you try an acid bath for the paper. I have had good luck with sulfamic acid bought at the big box home store (grout cleaner) but others have used citric acid. I have found salt prints to be very touchy as far as paper is concerned. Try a 3% bath until the bubbling stops, then wash. After you do this, whatever sizing was in the paper will have been washed out. Have you tried salting with either arrowroot starch or gelatin?

Hi Earl- thanks for the information. i've been using photo grade gelatin to size.... i have some citric acid on hand, if that doesnt work i'll try the sulfamic.

What's your preferred paper for salt?

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Tom:
    If I remember correctly, my best results with salt have been on Arches Platine, Lanaquarelle, and Weston Diploma Parchment. I know for sure that Fabriano Artistico paper needs to be acidified - it bubbles visibly when you put it into the acid solution. Neither Arches Platine nor WDP need any treatment, if I remember correctly.

One of the consequences of the acidification process is that all of the size in the paper that was applied in the factory is washed away. This can cause problems in and of itself. For example, the Weston paper can be used for salt or cyanotype right out of the box, but if you soak it, after drying it becomes so absorbent that you can't even coat successfully with a glass rod - all of the solution gets absorbed before you make even one pass with the rod. If you are salting with a gelatin solution, though, this should not pose a problem.

One benefit of the acidifying soak, however, is that the paper is pre-shrunk before you do anything to it.

From now on, I will be testing each paper/process combination with both untreated and acidified paper to see which works best.

Hi guys! I use Stonehenge 90lb white. I have also experimented with Stonehenge Natural (90lb), but I think my re-used gelatin was contaminated and I got measles in my highlights. Will be salting a fresh batch tomorrow, and, if we get some sun, printing ASAP. I was lucky enough to recently sit down with Christopher James and when I told him I used photo grade gelatin he shook his head and simply said "Knox. You'll get much better results". I switched, and I have. I've been meaning to post some of my latest prints here, but I haven't converted my files to the smaller size yet. I did a quick search, what is the difference between Stonehenge and Rising Stonehenge? Are they 2 completely different papers? I'm assuming they are. I haven't tried a wide range of papers, but settled on Stonehenge since it gives me the results I am looking for - for now. I'll get a print or 2 up soon.

Cheers!