Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skerries Mills

Skerries Mills

The town I live in has a couple of windmills (one 5-sail and one 4-sail) plus a watermill on an elevated site.

There was a bakery on the site up until the 1980's when it closed. Many people from the locality were employed in the bakery over the last couple of centuries, among them some relatives of mine - the most recent being my uncle Sammy.

Sammy used to deliver the hot baked bread to local shops and houses on a horsedrawn breadcart. I remember it was quite a sight and when I was a small boy he used to toss batch loaves down to me (you know the ones with the 'dimples') as he drove his horse and van by. I will always remember how the warm bread used to smell so delicious. By the time I got as far as the kitchen some pieces of the side of the bread would inevitably have been torn off so great was the temptation!

Well the Bakery was eventually sold and later underwent restoration along with the mills and now is a visitor centre with cafe, exhibition space and of course the mills are fully working. At harvest time the field beside the complex has a crop of oats which is cut with a steam threashing machine for the educational benefit of younger generations.

75mm Zone Plate with Hasselblad body
    Rodinal 1:50 Fuji 400 asa 15 mins Attached files

Skerries Mills

Very nice set of images!

You are making me hungry for freshly baked bread!

In my case, it was my mother who made it from scratch. Six to eight loafs at a time. I loved that bread!

Jon

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Skerries Mills

Beautiful, soft, iconic images, Seoirse.

Skerries Mills

A very beautiful set of pictures. The zone plate works very well on your Hasselblad.

Skerries Mills

A wonderful ethereal atmosphere. Real sense of mood. Printed small and suitably framed, they would grace any wall!

Great work.

Regards,

Lawrie.

Skerries Mills

@ Jon, Earl & Rene : Thanks for your kind words. I wasn't even going to post these as I thought they might be a bit ordinary. I think the problem is one of familiarity as these mills are about 300 metres from my home and I see them everyday - so I guess I thought that something which is so routine for me to see might not be of interest to other people. Even my wife said that I captured something different...she meant the movement in the sails in No.1 as most people tend to shoot with a fast shutter speed and get no sense of what makes windmills so attractive in the first place. I'm glad I did post them up now.

@ Lawrie : Thank you too! Yes I think I will print these up. I too have come to the conclusion that small prints can be every bit as satisfying as big prints. Depending on the subject there is almost something jewel-like about a well made small print.

Thank you all.

Skerries Mills

I sometimes think "scene familiarity" is the writers block of the photographer. We've seen a subject so many times it becomes passe when in reality there is, literally, a whole world ot there that has never seen the subject.

I guess that is where our ability to interpret the scene in a way that is new to us and then present it to others becomes the goal. We see it anew and the viewer sees it for the first time.

Skerries Mills

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    I sometimes think "scene familiarity" is the writers block of the photographer. We've seen a subject so many times it becomes passe when in reality there is, literally, a whole world ot there that has never seen the subject.

I guess that is where our ability to interpret the scene in a way that is new to us and then present it to others becomes the goal. We see it anew and the viewer sees it for the first time.
    Well said Marv.

I think that's a quote which all of us photographers would do well to remember.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Skerries Mills

I am seeing the Mississippi River with new eyes as I pursue my grant project. I have been reading everything I can find about the river and its history, and I find myself looking at (and shooting) geology, history, commerce, and the natural landscape with fresh eyes.

I think that what I am trying to say is that challenging myself to a project goal is helping me to overcome the barriers of familiarity of vision and the habits of selective perception.

Skerries Mills

These are beautiful. Ordinary seen in an extraordinary way. Keep it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast