Thread: 4 eyes speed graphex

4 eyes speed graphex

I've been playing with lots of different cameras this summer. Here is one I like a lot. Its a broken Speed Graphex which is missing its drop down front and front standard. I attached a square of foam board to the bellows and had been shooting with a 100 mm achromatic lens I purchased from Surplus Shed http://www.surplusshed.com/ A few weeks ago I was pitching stuff from my junk drawer when I came across two pairs of broken reading glasses. So I decided to pop out the lenses and try them on my graphlex. To get the wide angle I like I had to use all 4 lenses. I taped them together with electrical tape and made a new foamcore lens board for them. This is clamped onto the original lensboard minus the achromatic. The wobbly bellows allows me to do a lens shift effect or I can extend the bellows for close ups. I need to remember and guess how far the bellows is extended once I get the film holder in place. I've been using outdated Kodabromide grade 1 paper as the negative since I want to use my lenses wide open. I guessed the 4 eye glasses to be about f 2.8 so I set my focal plane shutter to 1/250. I now think the lens is an f4.5.

Attached files

4 eyes speed graphex

Two more

Attached files

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

4 eyes speed graphex

Nice work, Chris. These images have an immediacy that works for me. Speed Graphic used for its original purpose.

4 eyes speed graphex

Here's a few images shot with the 100mm astigmatic lens.

Attached files

4 eyes speed graphex

Great vintage effect with the eye glass lens.

4 eyes speed graphex

Finally got around to developing color negatives from my camera. These were from the same camera but using a 100 mm achromatic lens from Surplus Shed.

Attached files

4 eyes speed graphex

love the camera! (images too!)
    nice work Chris!