Thread: By the pool

By the pool

Two images captured a few weeks ago under the sun in France.

Both taken on my 4"x5" folding pinhole; still with its pink bellows 8)

Camera expanded to 54mm, f/148 55seconds. Pre-flashed Ilford MGIV variable contrast paper through a yellow filter.

Attached files

Edit 23/4/2013: fixed broken link.
    Last edited by banana_legs; 04-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.

By the pool

the kids were diving in an out in this one, but the only trace is the bright highlights from the sun shining through the splashing.

Camera expanded to 54mm, f/148 55seconds. Pre-flashed Ilford MGIV variable contrast paper through a yellow filter.

Best regards,

Evan Attached files

By the pool

I especially like the first one Evan. Really nice tones, that yellow filter works very well.
    The little greasy splodge in the sky on both pictures is an indication that the sensor needs cleaning on this camera!!!! ;D ;D

By the pool

Thanks Tony,

Yes I had noticed the splodge too. The yellow filter is on a little arm inside the camera so that it can be swung in or out easily. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to clean the dust of the surface nearest the pinhole, hence the odd splodge. I intend to glue an old 52mm filter ring on the inside of the camera so that I can screw a yellow filter in or out and therefore clean it easily.

Best regards,

Evan

By the pool

Yep, both great shots when you look into them.
    I like your pink camera too, I would like to made a 8x10 version, not to have a adjustable range just ease of carrying it.

To excellent pictures with a very good tonality. I tried Multigrade paper with Multigrade gel filters. This worked not bad but I preferred to get the optimum out of graded paper.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr

Hi Rene,

Many thanks.

I happened to get a good price on a big box of VC paper, but I too prefer graded paper. The VC paper is difficult to meter for as you have to develop to completion. For my view camera work with a lens, the VC paper is quite viable, but for pinhole work when I am relying on the sun staying constant for a long time, graded paper is much easier to get a good negative from as you can adjust the developing if the exposure is not as expected.

A plus point of having to develop to completion though is that I can develop in-the-field very easily; I put the paper negative in a print tube and then slosh in some developer for a good few minutes; as long as the time is long enough, the exact time and temperature are not critical.

Best regards,

Evan
    More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

Two fine images, Evan. They bring back many happy memories of being poolside in France.
    Great stuff.
    Please click on my flickr page : www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial

If a single photograph is a phrase, then a body of work is the full story.
    (Manuel Alvarez Bravo)