Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Building a DSLR Lens Housing

  1. #1

    Building a DSLR Lens Housing

    I've been experimenting with DIY optics on my Olympus E-520. Currently I have two toilet paper rolls nested together with a magnifier on one end. This fits snugly but not securely into the camera's lens mount. The nesting allows a very crude sort of focusing. The results are interesting enough, so I want to ditch the prototype and build something a little more permanent. I look plain stupid in public with a toilet paper roll sticking out of my camera -- not to mention the amount of dust I'm dumping on to the sensor.

    Anyone have any ideas of how to build something? The maginifier I'm working with has a (roughly) four inch focal length. Yes, it is telephoto. No diaphragm needed; wide open works well.

    I though of a piece of PVC attached to a body cap? Or an extension tube? The focal length can be fixed at roughly hyperfocal for this first go (i.e. no focusing capability).

    Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Building a DSLR Lens Housing

    Extension tubes may be stronger than some body caps. They also provide more area for attaching the tube containing the lens. Sometimes well established camera stores have inexpensive telextenders that can be gutted for this purpose, or the camera mount removed from them and used on another tube. A bellows might be the best option: it will provide focusing and can accept a variety of focal lengths

  3. #3

    Building a DSLR Lens Housing

    Thank you, Jim. A bellows sounds like a good idea. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, the only ones I can find that fit an OM mount (or one that fits my DSLR) are $100 plus. I really just wanted something quick and dirty to take this to the next step.

    I'm looking at extension tubes at the moment. The kits I see are 9+16+30 (mm) and I need a focal length of about 100mm.

  4. #4

    Building a DSLR Lens Housing

    An Olympus bellows recently sold on ebay for $60. Perhaps less expensive and more versatile would be a T-mount bellows adapted to your camera. Also, while shopping for extension tubes, consider T-mount tubes. A T-mount adaptor and a compatible, but non-functioning, telephoto lens may provide the material for adapting other lenses to your camera.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts