Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: accepted for exhibition

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

accepted for exhibition

This is an argyrotype version of an image posted previously in the black and white section. It was accepted into the Minneapolis Photo Center's Alternatives: Unconventional & Uncommon Processes show that opens on November 5, and will hang through the end of December. The juror was Keith Taylor.

Here are the vital statistics:
    Mississippi River Mile 849.5
    8/29/2010
    8x10 - 120 mm plywood camera built by me
    .400 mm aperture, f300
    25 minute exposure
    Efke PL100 film
    HC 110 dilution H, 13 minutes @ 65 F
    printed on Weston Diploma Parchment Plat-Pal
    argyrotype sensitizer mixed from scratch following Mike Ware's excellent instructions
    contact print from in-camera negative with no corrections or alterations
    exposed on Nuarc FT26V3UPNS plate burner
    washed and fixed only – no toning Attached files

accepted for exhibition

Congratulations!

Jon

accepted for exhibition

Very well done indeed Earl. I am very tempted to try argyrotype having now seen the richness and depth you can achieve with the print; I feel another order for chemicals growing!

Evan

Blog Entries

accepted for exhibition

Evan: you already have most of what you need. The main ingredients are sulfamic acid, silver oxide, and ammonium iron(III) citrate (green). Sulfamic acid is sold in hardware stores and building centers in powder form as a grout cleaner for tile floors. Silver oxide can be created from sodium hydroxide and silver nitrate, and ammonium iron citrate is one of the two main cyanotype ingredients. Fixer is a heaping tablespoon of sodium thiosulfate per liter of water. Sodium hydroxide used to be readily available in grocery stores in the US, but due to its usefulness in meth labs, it is now a little harder to find. My wife is a soap maker, so we have it on hand at all times. Check out Mike Ware's web site - I think that you will find the instructions are not at all daunting.

I need to experiment with humidity control - supposedly the results change with sheets that are humidified before coating, again after the sensitizer has dried but before exposure, and again after exposure but before development. I hope to have my digital negatives for argyrotype calibrated by the end of this weekend. I think it is time to press the abandoned cat carrier into service as a humidity chamber, as recommended by Christopher James.

accepted for exhibition

very nice Earl! Great work!
    I bet this is going to be one fantastic show!

accepted for exhibition

Congratulations, Earl! Beautiful print!

Where does your wife find the lye? I used to make soap, too, but after a while it was too hard to find the stuff.

All the selections for the show can be seen in a slide show on MPLS Photo Center's website:
    http://www.mplsphotocenter.com/exhibits/upcoming-exhibits.php

I have a couple of gum prints in there

accepted for exhibition

Great news Earl (and you to Mary)!

Of your river shots this one has always seem a bit q bit ironic and iconic.

Ironic in that no matter where you got the "taggers" seem to have been there first.

Iconic because it represents the un counted portals that lead from "somehwere" into the river. I think they made a good choice and so did you.

Blog Entries

accepted for exhibition

Mary:

Congratulations! You have a place on the podium (3rd place)! I can't wait to see your print(s). Are you traveling to our fair city for the opening?

Orrin Rutchik has created a marvelous resource in the Minneapolis Photo Center. Last night I went there for an artist talk by Ctein on 'The Once and Future Color Print' where he discussed the history of color photographs with samples from his own work (he is one of the few remaining masters of the dye transfer process). It was a stimulating evening. Ctein has caused me to re-evaluate my knee-jerk rejection of digital prints for my own work. For him, the image is paramount. He showed us prints where his intentions can only be manifested by digital printing, and others where analog processing yields far superior results. I have images where it has been difficult to achieve success with hand-made objects; perhaps I can embrace the means to make a beautiful object even if they do not include my two hands.

MPC is becoming a vibrant center of activity for all things photographic in the upper midwest. We are privileged to have such a resource available.

accepted for exhibition

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Earl
    Thanks for the kind words!

I am green with envy about your beautiful photo center. I would love to visit, but won't be able to attend the opening. I could even visit my niece in St Paul at the same time. But I am scheduled to lead a cyanotype workshop at Wingtip Press (a local printmaking studio) on Saturday the 6th. Should be fun, but not such great timing...

I wish Boise could someday have someplace like MPLS Photo Center. But then, I used to think that about a printmaking studio, and now Wingtip Press has fulfilled my wish, so maybe someday....

accepted for exhibition

Earl,

That argyrotype print looks good enough to eat !

Well done on the show and wish I could be there.

Regards,
    George.
    PS...Wel done to Mary too...Podium finish...woohoo! ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast