Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to recognize a pinhole photographer/builder

500+ Posts

How to recognize a pinhole photographer/builder

In a supermarket, he/she chooses tea/coffee brand by comparing the size of the metal packaging with a roll film spool... ;-)

Another suggestions?

You can often find these cryptic builders wandering the aisles of the local hobby/craft store, in search of craft boxes, black craft foam, adhesive black felt and thin sheet brass.

Or, wandering through the home-furnishings department of the local Walmart, eyeing the decorative boxes, muttering comments to themselves about "this lid isn't light tight," or the plastic three-tray storage drawers that work as a vertical stack of processing trays for the darkroom.

Or, wandering through the local office supply super store (many pinhole photographers also being registered Office Supply Junkies), lurridly eyeing the fancy black and aluminum file storage boxes (heard muttering to themselves "this lid does appear to have a light-tight flange"), or repeatedly handling the black plastic flexible accordion files, wondering just how one could fashion it into some sort of multiple paper negative storage system for a large box camera.

Or, sifting through the nuts and bolts drawers at the local big-box hardware store for 1/4-20 tee-nuts and blind nuts.

Not that I've ever done any of these things, mind you.

~Joe

For me, I'd add sifting through the candy and cookie tins at the local thrift stores for film-sized ones.

You might find them scavenging through thier friends wood shop looking for hard wood scraps that would work for building shutters.

Hunkered down some where with the camera as low as the tri pod will go, neck contorted into unfathomable angles, trying to see the sight lines on an odd looking box.

Standing quietly by their camera, softly reciting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...... or staring at a variety of kitchen timers for minutes on end.....making their exposures.

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    Standing quietly by their camera, softly reciting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...... or staring at a variety of kitchen timers for minutes on end.....making their exposures.
    I use my Palm Pilot. I have a timer application. It works great!

All what is described in the posts above is true for me. So I must be a typical pinhole. I can add a few other points: If I see a camera my first thoughts are "How can I convert this camera to a pinhole camera". And very often Im kneeling or sometimes even lying on the ground to check with a triangle how I should place a strange box or can to get the optimum angle of view. During the exposure you cannot approach me. I'm counting "einundzwanzig, zweiundzwanig ...." and I'm watching the scenery prepared to stop the exposure temporarily if somebody unwanted enters the scenery or wants to pass by. BTW I collected already more than 100 boxes and cans waiting for a pinhole conversion and I have boxes of various material I could probably use in future to build a pinhole camera. It's good that we have enough space in the new house (we are still working on the renovation. Currently we are in the mid of the Sahara, still alot of work to do.)

Walking out of the cigar store with three cigars and twenty empty cigar boxes.

If we are for example sitting in a café Belinda will often say to me “what are you looking at?” I will have one eye closed and be moving from side to side slightly because I am absently mindedly studying the effect of lines and angle on each other and looking for the best position for the camera.
    I know I have done it for years and do it often because people remind me!
    Yes I look at the packaging more than the contents when in the store and collect “interesting” cans and boxes etc. just in case I suddenly find myself with endless free time.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

I know I am a pinhole photographer because:

- I have a ziplock bag of rubber bands in my photo backpack
    - I go straight to the tin gift boxes when I go into the thrift store
    - I know where to find the best selection of hobby plywood and black foamcore in the seven county Twin Cities metro area
    - I purchase wood glue as often as I purchase fixer
    - I choose bundles of broccoli more for the rubber band than for the vegetables
    - I own three kitchen timers that are not allowed in the kitchen
    - I have three box cameras waiting to be converted to pinhole that are never used with their lenses
    - I have a stack of exposure charts printed from Pinhole Designer that is three inches high
    - I gave up counting my cameras when the number passed 25 (that happened in 2005)

Who else would mount a cardboard box on a $200 tripod and stand next to it in public?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast