Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just scored a Zero 2000 and 6x9 on ebay, questions

Just scored a Zero 2000 and 6x9 on ebay, questions

OK, so I was thinking of getting one of the old 8 banners aluminum cameras that a few places bought out when they went away, and cruising through ebay to see what was available I saw a listing for not one but two Zero Image cameras, a Zero 2000 (6x6) and a Zero 6x9 multiformat, all said and done $140 shipped. I think it was a decent deal assuming the cameras are in decent shape, the seller still has the boxes and papers so they were probably mostly on a shelf.

So anyway, what should I know about these cameras before I load film? Are there areas that leak light that I need to be aware of (like around the shutter)? Oddities with feeding the film? Pretty much anything anyone can think to suggest.

Great cameras and easy to use. If paperwork is included you are good to go. I have not had or heard of anyone complaining about like leaks. Enjoy your cameras.
    Arthur

The 6x9 can be a bit of a pain to load film into and you have to make sure the back is closed well, but otherwise it is a nice camera. The shutter is good and they are very solid -- I have dropped mine more than once without a problem. Don't expect the viewfinder to work with all of the widths of the 6x9 -- it won't and you will have to work out the sight lines for yourself for each format.

Have fun.

William

I don't think either of the cameras I'm getting have a viewfinder on them. I've been looking at a lot of images from these cameras and I have a feeling that I probably won't go past 6x7 because I don't like the way the light falls off on the edges. I'm not sure if the 6x9 camera will even see much work since I have the 6x6, have to see how things look. Dusted off my altered DigiSix meter and stuck a fresh battery in it so it is ready to go. Altered so it goes to f512 on the dial for a more direct read out. There might be a picture in here somewhere.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Oh, man, Greg, don't even think about missing out on 6x9 pinhole fun:

Vignetting is part of pinhole - you don't have to burn in the edges!
    Shoot an image, wind it randomly, shoot again, wind it randomly, shoot again.
    Include the disc of the sun in your image.
    Find some moving water, make an image.
    Do some hand-held pinhole street photography where there are lots of people and cars.
    Shoot some trees on a windy day.
    Leave your light meter at home and use the Zen of Pinhole to judge your exposures.
    Live a little!

And show us the results.

But above all, have some fun!

Earl, those are some beautiful heartfelt and inspiring words of wisdom, extolling the passion felt by pinholers. I'm moved!

All the best,
    Sam H.

Updated tracking says they will be here tomorrow, hope the film I have is still good it has not been refrigerated and has been hanging around for a couple of years (or more). Efke 25 and Efke 50 is probably all I have and will need to order some new stuff. My intent is reversal processing from dr5 because it is easier to scan a positive, Nikon 8000 scanner and wet mount materials on hand just in case I find something nice to capture.

What Earl said, especially about the 6x9.

But sneak a peek at that DigiSix now and then to calibrate your karma, at least at first. Just don't let Earl see you do it.

Didn't arrive, rescheduled to Monday

How long can you store Efke 25 and 50 when not refrigerated? The stuff I have expired a year ago and sat on a shelf for the time I had it.

Well... I'm very underwhelmed :-/ Most people go on and on about how well these are built and a bunch of other things... Both of mine are pretty damn crudely built and I probably should have just grabbed a Vermeer or two, they are plenty good looking and look like they are made better. Also I found out the seller didn't look at things closely, the 6x9 is a zone plate which is not at all what I wanted so now I need to decide if I kill the "collector value" and put a pinhole in it, or just dump it. No instructions so I'm left guessing which way the backs go on, how to wind the film to get them set correctly, where to put the "start" arrows when I initially wind the film. And to top it all off, take a look where the serial number was placed on the Zero2000:

Yes that is a shiny brass piece inside the lightbox area of the camera. Who in their right mind would put something shiny inside the exposure area??? The pinhole metal is also not blackend so that is another step I'll need to deal with. Grrrr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast