Thread: getting started on a broken shoestring

getting started on a broken shoestring

I am looking into scanning negatives.. I have old 4x5 and 120 negs from years ago and I am planning on processing my own 120 and 4x5 B&W this coming year.. I can get them scanned locally but I think my HP f300 scanner printer has enough pixels to get me started if I can monkey up a light source for cheap..

I have gathered from here and googling that florescent flickers and incandescent melts things... so LEDs behind thick milky glass?? or daylight incandescent(s) set off the white glass with a cooling fan??

if I put anti-newton glass between the scanner glass and the negative will that help fight newton rings but put the negative to far away?? (LOL)

I would normally just try everything and find the answer but that can get expensive...

thanks in advance

I tried this with an ancient Mustek scanner with poor results. The negative had to be masked to prevent bright light around the edges from washing out the image. A large sheet of opal plastic a few inches above the film and lit with a very bright movie light provided even illumination. My 7-year-old Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner is fine with 4x5 negatives, and good enough for many purposes with 120 negatives. If you can find an old similar scanner complete with negative holders, it might be more practical than improvising. The Epson has considerable latitude in the distance of negative to scanner glass, so Newton's rings need not be a problem.

I had some negs scanned at the local computer shot.. the results where total %^$# so I thought why not try using my DSLR camera ..the first test was so much better.. all I used was a home made light table and the camera with macro lens

To use a digital camera for scanning negatives works well, even for scanning colour negatives. I used this method before I had a dedicated film scanner years ago with success. I had one of these slide copy adapters and a macro lens. I made a special light source with a special filter for compensating the orange cast of the color negatives.

Here one of the Kodacolor Gold 200 pictures taken with a Minox 35GL during my first visit to Japan in 1996. As you can see in the EXIF data the picture was scanned with a Nikon CP990 3 MP digital camera. Attached files

I had some top of the range process/scanning done at a professional laboratory in the eastern states ..as for the results ... well at a fraction of the price the local one hour gave a much more pleasing results cost wise ..

Pro Lab film processing $ 10
    scanning $ 25
    surcharge for CN400BW $10
    CD $ 5
    return postage $12 sending the film over cost me only $5.5
    Service time 12 days
    in photo shop the image size is showing as 5 x 7 inches Pixels per inch 400

One hour lab process and scan $14
    in photo shop the image size is 6 X 4inch pixels per inch 220

service time was just over the hour..okay I realize the size and pixel count are lower.. but I can't see much deference when printed

I have also copied some of the negs using my DSLR the .. you can see the film grain when enlarged the scanned pro images the tone has a a very solid look