Thread: Salt experiments

Salt experiments

So, I've been experimenting with different ways of making inkjet paper negatives. The latest adventure was inspired by Peter Liepke's waxed paper negative platinum/palladium with gum prints I saw at the F295 Seminar in NYC this past January. Though Peter, as I understand it uses inkjet paper, I've been working on using plain old 50# canson sketch paper in my inkjet printer to create a negative that yields an image with a complete tonal range. It's a challenge, but I'm getting closer.

This neg was waxed wtih bees wax, and then used to expose a NHCL coated piece of Fabriano Artistico watercolor paper for 22 minutes under the UV lights.

Still some work to do, but considering the other abject failures I've produced over the past 5 weeks this is a HUGE step in the right direction. The mottled appearance is a direct result of using the paper negatives (which is what i'm aiming for)

any thoughts or comments welcome.
    tom Attached files

Salt experiments

Sounds like an interesting but frustrating project. Seems as though the worth while endeavors always are.

If I am reading the step wedge correctly (taking in to account the short comings of viewing on the web) you look to get a decent range of tones. Seems as though it may still be a bit underexposed?

Texturally I like like it; a bit vintage in presentation which I find pleasing.

Keep us updated on your progress Tom.

Salt experiments

Hi Marv- I agree that it's under exposed. I plan to try another, hopefully today, with at least 45min to an hour of exposure. I'm hoping the self masking properties of the salt print will prevent the shadows from blocking up and fill out the highlights. That said, anything could happen!

What started me on the quest is the vintage presentation. And then I discovered that I can make HUGE negatives for very low cost- An 18x24" 50 sheet pad is only $16! Beeswax is $10 for a 'brick'.

Will follow up with the next installment soon.

Salt experiments

turns out it seems to have needed a minor curve adjustment to separate the two highlight tones. Tried exposing the original curve for 60 minutes and they were still about as similar as above. Tweaked the curve a tiny bit and exposed these 2 images for 25 minutes. Seems like this might be the best yet.

Attached files

Salt experiments

and here's another image with the curve applied and a 25min. exposure.

Attached files