Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Ray film

X-Ray film

I've been given a box of xray film. Is it usable for pinhole photos? Anyone tried it?

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

X-Ray film

It is absolutely useable. I have not used it myself, but I have used many other strange and wonderful films. I know of two or three people who are using xray film in large format lens cameras for making in-camera negatives for carbon prints, and carbon printers are a very demanding group. If they can get good results, then I know that it would work for pinhole. The trick is in getting the film speed and development right for your workflow. What size is the film? What brand is it? I might be able to steer you to an information source.

X-Ray film

X Ray is great for pinhole, I have some Kodak T-Mat which I rated at ISO50 and develop in 1:200 Rodinal. Just be careful as Xray film is coated on both sides and easy to scratch loading into a drum if thats how you process.

X-Ray film

I have been experimenting some X ray film a while ago. This was Kodack Tmat/sra, the size is 20x40cm use in Dental office.

Some links here
    http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1277667783/s-0/highlight-x+ray/#num0
    http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1278360478/s-0/highlight-x+ray/#num0
    http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1276182900/s-0/highlight-x+ray/#num0

X-Ray film

I shoot a bunch of X-ray film for pinhole work. It's the cheapest large format film I've found and the most frustrating. Most medical X-ray film has an emulsion on both sides, and often a distinctive blue tint on a poly base. It's either blue or green sensitive, which is nice because you can work with it under red safelight when loading or cutting it to size if needed, and can develop it by observation in the darkroom. It's tender as hell until fixed, washed and dried, and scratches by just looking at it, or so it seems. Here's a link to a Flickr set of my X-ray pinhole work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spiffytumbleweed/sets/72157621275960987/

I'd upload an example but I hate the resizing this site requires. I'll be happy to try to answer questions via e-mail.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

X-Ray film

The fountain image is a good one, Spiff. I have toyed with the idea of trying X-ray film, but I have a lifetime supply of lith film to use up first.

X-Ray film

I use x-ray film exclusively in my 8x10" pinhole cameras. At the moment i'm trying out Fuji HR-U green sensitive film. I strip the emulsion on the backside after development from the dry film using household chloride bleach. To prevent the bleach from ruining the other side, i tape the film onto a sheet of glass.

Of course this reduces density to almost half, so exposure and development times need to be adjusted if you want to get the same results as with the double-coated film.

I get good results with rodinal 1+100 for 6 minutes with little agitation every minute. I also want to try stand development in 1+300 for 30 minutes, because 1+100 for an hour,, which is ok for normal films, is way too much for x-ray film.

Pyrocat HD also works fine.

Here is an example, though post processed in Photoshop with dodge, burn and some scratch brushes for an aged look:

This was Pyrocat HD two bath with 5 minutes each (A and B 1+20)

X-Ray film

Nice shot, funnily I get enough scratches when processing without having to use PS...

X-Ray film

I also get scratches on the backside during development, but as i remove the emulsion from the back, the scratches go away with it.

X-Ray film

How do you remove the emulsion from the back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast