Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B-58 Hustler

B-58 Hustler

Hi Everyone,

Here's another pinhole shot from the Pima Air Museum. Here, the camera was placed only a couple inches under the front "point" jutting from the B-58 Hustler supersonic delta-wing bomber. This is my favorite plane at the museum!

This is obviously a crop of the original 4x5 frame.

Have a nice day,
    Scott
    www.scottspeck.com

B-58 Hustler

I've liked all of your recent airplane images, but this one is the best! When I was a kid, I was given a very detailed model of this plane. I had so much fun playing with it! I thought it was so cool!

B-58 Hustler

Right after the B-17, This is THE Bomber! Talk about a sexy airplane. Only thing close is B1 Lancer... Great stuff Scott!

B-58 Hustler

Great series .

B-58 Hustler

Some great static aircraft shot Scott. You have got me wish I was going to the Avalon Airshow this weekend.

B-58 Hustler

Thanks, all of you! Shane, you should go! The B-58 is awesome, and the B-17 is beautiful and so historically significant. Also, yes, the B1 would be a great one to shoot. If I could get one out in the open and not in a hangar, an ultimate "fantasy jet" to shoot with the pinhole and the ultra-tall tripod would of course be -- the SR-71!!!!

B-58 Hustler

Quote Originally Posted by 1674
    Right after the B-17, This is THE Bomber! Talk about a sexy airplane. Only thing close is B1 Lancer... Great stuff Scott!
    Well, as a Yankee I may take some flak for this, but in the list of beautiful aircraft built for the unfortunate purpose of dropping bombs, IMO the top spot belongs to the the Avro Vulcan, operated for many years by the RAF.

These are nice, Scott. Your camera has a way of making very big airplanes into surprisingly small objects. Incidentally, if you ever get out to southern California, the museum at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside has a Blackbird out in the open you can get close to.

I hope our friends on this site living in countries that were on the receiving end of some of the hardware mentioned above will forgive our attachment to these machines. It's ironic that so many weapons of war have a stark beauty, despite the hideous reality of their purpose.

B-58 Hustler

Thanks for that advice! An SR-71 out on open ground! Also, the Vulcan IS an awesome looking plane. I actually watched some flight videos of it recently on youtube, and I had a metal toy version of that craft that I played with a lot as a kid.

To be honest, I wanted so much to photograph the "big planes" at the museum, and their huge size causes the effect of -- the nearby part of the plane looks huge, and the extremities are nearly LOST in the distance. I took a shot on the nose of a B52 where the size of the B52's image only covers about 1 EIGHTH of the 4x5's area, despite me having been about two feet away! The swept wing design causes the wings to nearly vanish off into the distance through my camera.

The next time I go there, I'll be photographing the smaller planes, and I think those will have a more "tactile" look and feel to them. There are small seaplanes, biplanes, and experimental-era helicopters I want to photograph. They also have a Constellation passenger plane that I think would look GREAT through the ultrawide pinhole.

Of all the planes I photographed there, the only one that, to my knowledge, actually dropped bombs in war scenarios (not just "test runs") was the B-52. The B-58 never did, and I don't believe that either the B-36 or the B-47 did either, but I'll have to check. Obviously, the B-52 has dropped more bomb weight than any other warplane in history -- or at least I'm guessing that to be true.

Interestingly, one of the B52's that I photographed never dropped a bomb -- but it was used as the launch platform for a LOT of X-15 rocket plane flights. Instead of having "bombs" stenciled on its side (one per bombing run), it has tiny images of X-15's stenciled on!

I also have photos of a "super guppy", but only one of them came out reasonably. That plane could carry the main booster stage of a Saturn V rocket!

I understand that everyone might not share my enthusiasm for machines of war. I realize that they were used (or intended for use) for hideous purposes. However, I find them interesting, and being an airplane enthusiast, I appreciate their design and capabilities.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

B-58 Hustler

When I lived in Santa Barbara, California between 1966 and 1970, the father of one of my friends was a pilot for the guppy airplanes. I never got to ride in one, but I did get to see them flying in and out.

I have been to the same air museum in Tucson that you were at - it is a fascinating place. It is also fun to see the rows on rows of planes put into mothballs - I saw a whole passle of F4 Phantoms all lined up in the desert. I was surprised at how small the SR71 turned out to be. I built a model of it as a kid, and the actual plane was surprisingly tiny. I still want to take a ride in one of those babies . . .

B-58 Hustler

Earl, that's interesting that you got to see a guppy flying! Also, it's really cool to see so many old planes lined up out in the desert. Their state of corrosion and age makes them all the more interesting -- a kind of "hauntedness"...

A ride in an SR-71... WOW! I think I might take that over a ride into space! As long as we could go Mach 3.5+!

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast