Thread: City of Rocks

City of Rocks

In southwestern New Mexico, about 30 miles south of Silver City, lies an outcropping of large boulders, out of place in the othewise flat desert scrub, called the City of Rocks State Park, maintained by the State. It has a visitor's center with bathrooms, showers and RV hookups. We spent about four hours here, with me scrambling between boulders looking for interesting compositions.

The working method I used for exposing pinhole images in this box camera with storage compartments is that I find the scene, set up tripod (which I carry over my right shoulder), place camera (which was being carried against my left side) atop tripod, remove backpack and hang from tripod handles for additional weight, level the camera to the scene and/or horizon, adjust vertical aiming via viewing dots on sides of camera, adjust horizontal aiming via viewing dots atop camera, meter the scene, calculate the exposure time, time the exposure (using an analog wrist watch), find a shady spot to sit down, remove changing bag from backpack, place camera, lid-down, in backpack, change out paper. Then repeat.

All exposures on post-flashed grade 2 paper, exposure times and additional comments accompany each image. Images posted in the order that they were exposed. I metered the brightest parts of each scene and place it at +1 stop on the meter.

~Joe

25 second exposure.

30 second exposure.

40 second exposure. This boulder looks like a human head.

32 second exposure. This cluster of rocks somehow interests me.

30 second exposure. Is this the origin of the "Jackalope" myth? Or, just a giant rabbit?

28 second exposure. One of my favorites. I like the geometric orderliness amidst the otherwise organic randomness.

28 second exposure. Another favorite.

30 second exposure. I like the rounded curves of the rock, and the way that the brightness of one rock face illuminates the shadows of another.

25 second exposure. Another favorite.

City of Rocks

Fantastic series of images, Joe !

Each one of them has something of interest and they really are superb.

Thanks for posting these.

City of Rocks

A great series indeed. Like the info concerning setting up your camera (now I have write notes about as well as the exposure time?)

City of Rocks

Astonishing! What a great series. That's one strange place. Beautiful pinhole photographs. Too good to pick a favorite. Actually, I'm speechless.

City of Rocks

Joe, a further extraordinary series of pictures. Excellent tonality, even in the shadow areas. It's difficult to pick afvourite picture. Thanks for describing your picture taking workflow. It is always interesting to learn how other people work.

City of Rocks

Amazing place and great photographs! Pleasure to watch.

City of Rocks

I look forward to your images on this site but you've really out done your self this time.
    Exposure and composition are stunning. Updates to your blog will be a good read as well.

City of Rocks

It's amazing that you could tame the contrasts of the desert sun on grade 2 paper. It can be hard enough to do on film.

City of Rocks

WOW some cracking images. Col

City of Rocks

PS I live in a small city that's peppered with rocks .It will be some time down the track before I post any images. But I'm thinking some of the rocks will be great for testing ( as soon as it's been made) my new camera.

For one of the rock do a web search ' Dog Rock Albany WA AU'

Col