Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shift pinhole camera (progress report)

500+ Posts

Shift pinhole camera (progress report)

Let me introduce my current project called Aleph 67XY: a roll film pinhole camera with shift capability in both axis.
    The design has been chosen after a year or so of occasional sketching (mostly during my business trips on train).
    Technicalities: 6x7 cm format, image distance 35 mm, shift +/-20 mm. The camera will use the Graflex RH-10 back (not shown here). Still undecided about shutter -- I would like to have a cable release, but I want to minimize the complexity so it will probably end up with a "lens cap" shutter :-)

Basic components cut to dimensions -- front and back plate, rails, middle plate, "handle" bars. Attached files

500+ Posts

Main components of the camera (from left to right): shift rails, front plate, middle plate (already with drilled holes for bolts), back plate, and the bars (with tripod sockets already glued in).

Attached files

500+ Posts

Back view of the partially assembled camera -- the back rails and back plate (shifted rightwards) attached to the middle plate. Just a trial assembly, the surfaces are still unfinished, the back plate still awaiting the roll film holder and a viewfinder.

Attached files

Interesting design. The choice of back is a good one, I have used them for a number of projects with great success. I utilized a sliding shutter design:
    http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1176085118/s-0/
    That might fit your needs and is relatively simple to build. Keep us posted; I'm about do to build a new camera (kind of a sad addiction I guess) and was looking at a setup with shift. If it's any comfort we only "steal" ideas from the best .

Very nice design.

There must be a severe virus around. A lot of people built or are working on larger format cameras, using photo paper negatives is more and more popular among us and now everybody is working on a camera with shift capabilities. I plan to build my next larger format camera also with a shift capability and started this project already before you and others mentioned that they are working on such cameras. It must be a virus or we are connected in a spiritual way.

It's definitely a theme of ideas - I have a single-axis shift pinhole in my set of camera idea diagrams too. My plan is simply for a different front-plate for an existing 6x4.5 pinhole camera I have.

I look forward to seeing your results with this camera.

Quote Originally Posted by 2123
    It's definitely a theme of ideas - I have a single-axis shift pinhole in my set of camera idea diagrams too. My plan is simply for a different front-plate for an existing 6x4.5 pinhole camera I have.

I look forward to seeing your results with this camera.
    Swapping the front plate to provide shift has the advantage of permitting the axis of the off-center pinhole to be tilted to somewhat equalize exposre over the negative.

500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1198

Swapping the front plate to provide shift has the advantage of permitting the axis of the off-center pinhole to be tilted to somewhat equalize exposre over the negative.
    Definitely. I was seriously tempted to build a camera with bag bellows to have tilt capability, exactly for that reason. But, being not sure about making really good bellows I abandoned the idea, at least for now. But I have another (6x9 cm) roll film holder, so maybe one day... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 1976
    Still undecided about shutter -- I would like to have a cable release, but I want to minimize the complexity so it will probably end up with a "lens cap" shutter :-)
    Nice project. If you want a nice shutter with cable release, I would strongly recommend Raytex pinhole shutters made by Helmut Weber. I have one on my latest camera and it's great. Helmut's email is: westmarkcameras@yahoo.com

500+ Posts

John, thanks for the shutter hint. I really like the shutter you used for the Chimera69.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast