Thread: What our title would be

What our title would be

From the Daily Record, Ellensburg, WA, . . . Police: Suspicious device was a camera

http://dailyrecordnews.com/news/police-suspicious-device-was-a-camera/article_77c94db2-8660-11e0-9e55-001cc4c03286.html

What our title would be, Solargraphy project ruined

500+ Posts

What our title would be

But... when placing a camera to a public place for such a project, it is easily possible to attach a small plate with description and contact information as well -- it might help... Or, what about masquerade such cameras as bird boxes? :-)

What our title would be

"Had the object been disposed of properly instead of left next to a tree, the incident would not have taken place, he said."

Obviously - to us - it had not been disposed of, it was placed for a purpose.
    But in this day, how could one successfully convey the real purpose of a strange looking device left in a public place? Would the anti-terror folks believe a message on a plate left with the camera? And *should* they?
    I know just what I would be told, if I went to "the authorities" prior to placing the camera - "Don't do it. It will be seen as suspicious, and you will be arrested..."

So, what *can* we do?

Dave

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

What our title would be

I shoot ortho/lith film in my popcorn tin cameras, which sometimes require multiple hour exposures. I sometimes will leave the can, but the paper label on the can has the following message:

This is a pinhole camera that requires very long exposures.
    I sometimes leave it to take a picture and return to pick it up later.
    Thank you for not disturbing it.
    Earl Johnson
    and then my cell phone number.

I have left cameras out in public places for as much as 6 hours, without their being disturbed. Of course, there is a first time for everything . . . I don't think that I would attempt a solargraphy image in a public place unless either I had permission from the property owner or it was in a very good hiding place.

500+ Posts

What our title would be

I agree with Earl. The message itself would not be very useful, but the contact information is substantial. Neither of them is 100% guarantee though. We live in a strange time.

Once I was spotted by the police patrol while preparing my pinhole camera to photograph a synagogue in the former Jewish quarter in Prague. They came to me, I said hello to them and started to explain: "I know it may look suspicious, but it is an old camera modified to a pinhole camera. It looks a bit strange as it has no lens..." One of them said with excitement: "Yes, yes! I saw that on a TV last week, it was very interesting!" and started to explain to his fellow the basic principles... They watched me doing the exposure, had some questions, and then said goodbye. No arresting, no interrogating... but I understand each region has its own kind of silliness...

What our title would be

Quote Originally Posted by 1976
    g... but I understand each region has its own kind of silliness...
    Sounds like wisdom to me, not silliness!

What our title would be

great thread!
    i love your note earl. well done.

What our title would be

great thread!
    i love your note earl. well done.

500+ Posts

What our title would be

Quote Originally Posted by 582

Sounds like wisdom to me, not silliness!
    Yes, the behavior I wrote about surely is not a silliness; but I meant that somewhere you may have troubles doing pinhole photography while here the classic lightbulbs are being banned by the EU regulatory etc. My last sentence related to my thoughts I did not express... sorry for that :-)