Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerrville Cemetery

Kerrville Cemetery

As an extension of the discussion of "mackie lines" in the Enchanted Rock photo I posted on June 11th, this pinhole was made at the Kerrville cemetery about the same time with the same equipment. I see the same lines on distant objects. The closer trees in the center and left of center don't appear to have the lines. I tend to develop the negatives with fairly high contrast (maybe too much agitation) then bring out clouds, etc. with photoshop. TerryK.

Attached files

Kerrville Cemetery

I like the composition with the placement of the two main trees.
    The halo around the trees on the right suggests a little too much work in PS to me (I've done it many times).

Kerrville Cemetery

Straight neg scan with no photoshop (except for slight crop). Can't decide which I like better - comments please! TerryK

Attached files

Kerrville Cemetery

ofcourse first is better (and I understood where is this withe lines come )

Kerrville Cemetery

Well it's no surprise that I disagree with Nick. The second picture is far superior. There are no obvious signs of 'heavy processing'.
    As I've said, I have done it myself & found it hard to live with trees in my pictures that had glowing edges.
    Five quid says you will feel the same after time.....

Kerrville Cemetery

Sorry Nick, I'm also for the second shot. Too much PS, especially curves and sharpening, doesn't improve a picture really..

Kerrville Cemetery

Terry says no PS...why the disbelief?

Kerrville Cemetery

Glowing trees is always a good sign of too much PS but if that's the look you're after so be it.
    I prefer the 2nd image too.

Kerrville Cemetery

Number two gets my vote Terry. Photoshop is indeed an incredible program but in reality it is just a tool which has to be used with care and sensitivity. Your straight scan looks natural and, in my opinion, has a great tonal range. Knowing just when to stop is the trick.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Lawrie.

500+ Posts

Kerrville Cemetery

I vote for #2, I like the higher contrast in this case, despite the almost missing clouds, and the grass structure is simply better here. Perhaps a bit oversharpening in #1...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast