Thread: lens vs pinhole anamorph

lens vs pinhole anamorph

as suggested by tp, some info on the conversion of the pinhole camera to lens... sorry to need prompting

To get a lens anamorphic camera with the least possible effort I modified the pre-existing "black box of hell" pincam. The p_p_p_pinhole is mounted in the "lid" so I just made a new lid and mounted an 85mm lens stripped off a dead Agfa Isolette.

When I had the rough dimensions I tried moving the focus around to make the projected image look as sharp as possible around where I expected the middle part of the frame to be and then didn't touch the focus again... just stopped down to f32 and hoped depth of field would do the rest.

this shows the camera base open with both lids...

the pinhole shutter is just a fridge magnet that sits on a steel washer glued to the camera lid.

another comment is that the film loading is fiddly... to keep it a little easier there's a loose component which fits down over the film spools to hold them in place. Being able to take this off was supposed to make film loading and then closing the lid easier because the lid doesn't need to mate with anything, it just has a bit of foam to hold the loose component down. Attached files

lens vs pinhole anamorph

first pic is the 2 lids side by side to show the extension I needed for getting the lens in an appropriate position relative to the film.

Once it's closed the camera is just a plain black box... the opposite side has a tripod mount and a film winder and one side has a window to see the film numbers. If you look closely you'll see some velcro which I used to hold the pinhole version together. Because the lens version is just an experiment, I used a whole lot of black tape to keep the lid on... also helped keep the light leaks at bay. If I keep going with it, I'll velcro it too.

btw I made a great discovery, it's much better to use the soft fluffy "loop" velcro on the camera and use the "hook" velcro for the straps...
    because if you go the other way around and have the little hooks on the camera they'll catch the inside of your camera bag. Attached files

lens vs pinhole anamorph

the central cylinder with window that the film winds around and some aprox dimensions for the camera interior

the dimensions were never planned ahead... I just got the materials I could find easily and made it up as I went so the central PVC cylinder was determined by the stock in the local hardware store [looks about 69mm outer diameter] and the outer box was determined by the available lengths of dressed timber.

The basic premise was that it didn't matter what it looked like, esp on the outside, and the box was the simplest possible housing for the internals. I ended up with 270 degrees of arc for the window in the internal cylinder because if I tried to make it much more the film leader fell into the "window" instead of rolling around properly.

Couldn't have been more empirical if I tried. Attached files

lens vs pinhole anamorph

Better to have the camera stick in your bag than leap out and break unexpectedly!

No images yet, showing depth of focus with the lens?

lens vs pinhole anamorph

Quote Originally Posted by murrayatuptowngallery
    No images yet, showing depth of focus with the lens?
    yep, here: http://www.f295.org/DIYforum/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b-color/m-1141798251/s-new/

BTW Murray, it's nice to see you've regained your old persona.

lens vs pinhole anamorph

that is a thing of beauty!
    thanks for humouring me

tp

lens vs pinhole anamorph

for a "hellbox", this thing has been good to you, and to all of us.

lens vs pinhole anamorph

no worries, tp...

and, I hope this little demonstration convinces everyone that I have absolutely no woodworking skills and even less idea of what I'm doing !!!

Quote Originally Posted by staft
    for a "hellbox", this thing has been good to you
    but it extracts a heavy toll... she's a "high maintainance" kinda demon

LOL

lens vs pinhole anamorph

Quote Originally Posted by apn
    To get a lens anamorphic camera with the least possible effort I modified the pre-existing "black box of hell" pincam. The p_p_p_pinhole is mounted in the "lid" so I just made a new lid and mounted an 85mm lens stripped off a dead Agfa Isolette.
    sounds like Arkwright has been doing some nifty work converting bits from the shop

what camera bag do you have to fit that 'little' thing into?

I'm seriously thinking of making one of these... just got to clear a few other commitments first
    I may yet need your help on making this and I have an improvement or two to suggest