Thread: 10x8 Foam Core

10x8 Foam Core

Here is my new 10x8 camera. Made from 5mm black foam core with plastic edging strip to reinforce it and make it more durable. I actually went out and bought stuff to make this one (which doesn’t happen often), it has come out looking OK. It does not use a double dark slide and being a complete box makes it more rigid, there is a door at the end / top to allow a sheet of paper to be slid into groves. A box of paper and a large changing bag make it work. I included two tripod bushes and two level bubbles along with sighting lines. An old 52mm filter mount holds the pinhole and a clip in cap acts as shutter. A worthy replacement for my awful prototype which I made from some old white foam core covered in 120 roll film backing paper to make it light tight, not very elegant but it worked and showed me where I could improve the design.
    fl = 150mm.
    0.5mm pinhole. Made by dimple and emery paper method in brass shim.
    f = 300
    95 degree
    Weight. 229g.
    First test shot is here: http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1317598989/ Attached files

10x8 Foam Core

I would be hard pressed to notice that it is made of black foam board. It looks really professional.

10x8 Foam Core

I like using foam core but have problems with it moving in the breeze because it is so light. Do you weigh it down or do you not have that problem? The worst was a 16x20" camera I made, though I should have known better. <g>

Cheers -

george

10x8 Foam Core

A very nice looking well built camera.

Wind can be a problem even with smaller cameras and such movements of the camera will reduce the picture quality remarkably.

10x8 Foam Core

Quote Originally Posted by 248
    I like using foam core but have problems with it moving in the breeze because it is so light. Do you weigh it down or do you not have that problem?
    Yes, we work to make cameras lighter and then they blow away in the wind. :-/
    I hang my camera bag on the tripod, it makes a big difference. Or grab a passing carrier bag and put some stones in it.
    I suspect that the best compromise of weight against strength etc is foam core with a 1.5mm ply wood skin. I will use this one for a while to work out how the design can be improved and then build the ply covered mk3. That will probably double the weight.

10x8 Foam Core

That looks really nice. With the placement of the two bubble levels mimicking the viewers it almost looks like an old Brownie camera.

10x8 Foam Core

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    That looks really nice. With the placement of the two bubble levels mimicking the viewers it almost looks like an old Brownie camera.
    Dang it Marv, now you got me thinking! Hmmmmmm! You know the front part of the box, above the pinhole, is kinda wasted space..... I think with a mirror and some strategic cutting and glueing..... Brownie View Finder!

Sorry for getting off subject.. It really is a nice cam!

10x8 Foam Core

Nice camera, David.

What I've done with my foam core box cameras is to have the bottom fixed to a thick piece of plywood, which has the 1/4-20 tripod bushing mounted. The wooden plate is either permanently bolted to the camera's bottom, or the camera is bungee-corded to the plate. Either method works well for reducing wind motion.

~Joe