Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New camera project

New camera project

My new camera project.

Over the next few months I will be making something slightly different ... From as much as possible the construction will be from recycled materials.

The camera will be a 5x4" monorail or flat bed..Based vaguely on the Jon Grepstad design

The lens and shutter arrived the other day . Over 70 years old it's one of the 135mm Ortagoz lenes . It's condition isn't first class has paint missing and the glass has some light fungus.. or mushrooms as the guy who sold it said .

New camera project

No matter concerning the mushrooms, I think the lens looks pretty cool.

Cheers -

george

New camera project

Thats a nice looking lens! I too like to make cameras from recycled materials; I find old MDF laminate flooring is great for the carcases of the front and rear standards as it is a consistent thickness (7mm if it was the 'budget' range flooring). As a bonus, I discovered that being flooring, the MDF usually has a degree of water resistance too which is useful if you get caught in the rain; paper bellows do not fare so well in the wet unfortunately.

Best regards,

Evan

New camera project

Thanks George & Evan.
    Some goodies I pick up at theDenmafk tip shop, also I have an old apple crate that had squirreled away ... some nice old timber for the project .

The film deck is taking shape.

I did have one slight problem with the thin slats cupping, the frame for the ground glass screen should eliminate this problem.. if not Bugger!

New camera project

Still working on the spring-back. I needed some flat spring metal and brass strips, found the bolt at the scrap yard and plenty of old saw blades in the shed.

New camera project

I never thought of using saw blades! How do you shape them?

New camera project

Nice project! Read about it also in another forum on the Internet. I know that saw blades may be used for the spring back. Is it hard to drill holes in the saw blades?

Jon Grepstad

New camera project

Hi Jon are you the great man himself? my recycled project is based vaguely on one of your cameras.

Hit another problem the tension given by the hacksaw blades made inserting the dark slide very tight. I will try reducing the width and see if this will helps.. if not I guess it will be plan 'B'

New camera project

I use the spring metal of "flexible drain cleaners" (the flexible flat spring used for unclogging drains and pipes), the type found in this picture:
    http://eviramall.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=234&osCsid=8 25cd94effda9439b180b0562daad93e

Jon

New camera project

Hi,

Looking really good! I do not bother with a spring back at all; I made a version using elastic but found I kept nudging the camera out of alignment as I was putting the film holder in. Now I simply use a velcro strap top and bottom of the smaller cameras and wing-nut based wooden clamps for the larger cameras; I just take out the ground glass and replace it with the film holder. For 6x9 and 4x5 I often use Grafmatic backs or roll-film holders which are thicker than normal film holders and made using my home-made spring backs difficult. My only problem is that when I take the glass out, a few times I have forgotten to put it back into my camera bag and just dropped it into wet grass instead; not nice!

The clamp based method on my 10x8 is here : http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1284496262/#num1

Best regards,

Evan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast