Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New camera project

New camera project

Jon and Evan many thanks for your help. As I have already pointed out the Jon Grepstad designed monorail cameras gave me the inspiration for this project. I'm not sure if I should go down the monorail road of try try something slightly more arty, as the camera I'm making( all going well) will be submitted for an exhibition with the title of 'metamorphosis' my take on the theme is the rebirth of recycled materials.I'm thinking of a semi folding flat bed. I did think about using some type of threaded drive for the focus, but I can see problems with that.

New camera project

Hi Evan Just been looking at your camera pictures , the images have given me some idea of how I can solve a couple of problems if this is okay with you?

New camera project

Plan 'B' the saw blades even after reducing the size still have loads of tension. So I had a hunt in the junk box and found some small springy material that was once part of the mechanism of a vertical blind.

New camera project

Hi,

Yes feel free to harvest ideas! If you need any more detailed pictures of any parts of the cameras, let me know.

Best regards,

Evan

New camera project

Thanks Evan I notice the focusing is via push and pull and a locking wing nut. have you thought about some type of friction drive for the focusing ? I have used a threaded drive before .. but can't work out how it could be used in a flat-bed folder .

New camera project

The spring-back film holder and camera back. I must admit it may not be the same high constitution standard that many builders of Jon Grepstad's cameras have obtained.. but a coat of hammered metal paint will hide a multitude of sins.

New camera project

Wow! looking good!

I do often consider painting mine and possibly even sanding the edges :B

I did try a screw drive a while ago, but did not get on with it as I found it was always at the wrong end of the travel and just using a friction approach was far quicker. I tend to not fully slacken off the wing nuts so that there is a little friction as I move the standards back and fore. The only tricky bit is if I am using rear swing, trying to keep the same angle as I move the standard to focus. On my little 6cmx9cm view camera, the movements needed to focus are very small so it does get a little tricky, however with all the practice I have now had, I have few issues with the wing-nut approach.

I am not sure what has happened to my screw-drive adaptor, but I did manage to find the following picture of it in operation; the picture also shows an early version of my clamping system instead of the spring back.

Best regards,

Evan Attached files

New camera project

I should have looked through a few more pictures as I have just found a close-up, although my very questionable brazing is visible clearly

The basic idea is that the wing-nut on the rear standard is slackened slightly and the small piece of wood under the screw-handle end also has a wing nut which is tightened up fully. The screw will then turn in the nut which is brazed to the angle section on the rear standard, moving it back and fore. All wing nuts under the camera bed are then tightened up for taking the picture.

Best regards,

Evan

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the folding joint in the camera bed is far enough back so that when the rear and front standards are compressed together and the screw is turned to minimise the length of active thread, the fold is just clear of the screw handle. It did mean the camera was not as compact as it could have been if only the friction method is used. I also remembered that the biggest issue was the screw thread fouling on the film holder when I used a roll-film back. Attached files

New camera project

Evan Many thanks for all the info..using the rear stand for focusing make far more sense, and the small block holding the threaded fine focusing system an excellent bit of engineering.

Once again many thanks this has been a great help

Colin

New camera project

Oh I reckon the hammered finish metal paint is like liquid gold.
    I use it on all my project being a bit of a bush mechanic it make my rough 'n ready carpentry look quite flash

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast