Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.5 tons of gold

5.5 tons of gold

In my last thread I showed the outside of the Wat Trimit. The Mondop is the new house of the "Golden Buddha", 5.5 tons of pure gold! The Phra Phuttha Maha Suwan Patimakon (พระพุทธมหาสุวรรณ ฏิมากร) is the world's largest gold statue.

The Golden Buddha was probably a product of the Sukhothai period in the 13th century that eventually was placed in an Ayutthaya temple. To camouflage it from Burmese invaders, it was given a thick plaster coating and was consequently "lost." The encased statue was moved to Bangkok and placed in a smaller temple. In the mid-1950's, as it was being moved to its permanent building in the Wat Trimit, the rain soaked figure was dropped, and the stucco cracked to reveal the figure inside.

rejeCAM 135HD-23 (orchid cam), Agfa Pro 200 developed in Tetenal Colortec C-41

Typical exposure times in such temples are 2 to 5 minutes.
    Attached files

5.5 tons of gold

A view from the side (BTW: placing the small travel tripod wasn't really easy. In this case I wished I had a larger tripod with me to go closer to the buddha)

Attached files

5.5 tons of gold

A smaller buddha on one of the walls

Attached files

5.5 tons of gold

A view of the Golden Buddha from the other side

Attached files

5.5 tons of gold

Excellent images! Great story!

5.5 tons of gold

The new Mondop is very beautiful but looking at the old pictures I took in 1996 I prefer as photographer the old Viharn. The room was much smaller but the lighting was better and you could go much closer to the Buddha statue. For a comparison I post a picture of the old location taken with a Minox 35 (a longtime companion, I exposed several 100 films in the Minox 35) and Kodak Gold 200 film during my first visit to Thailand in 1996.

Attached files

5.5 tons of gold

5.5 ton, no wonder he sits down (no disrespect intended). Some of these statues are quite beautiful, as your images show. I particularly like the image with the purple flowers.

5.5 tons of gold

Very nice series, René. I especially like the third one -- the colors are outstanding.

5.5 tons of gold

Beautiful colors here, very nicely done.

Cheers -

george

5.5 tons of gold

Excellent photos and series, Rene. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast