Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wat Chakrawat

Wat Chakrawat

The Wat Chakrawat, full name Wat Chakrawat Ratchawat Woramahawihan (Thai: วัดจักรวรรดิราชา าสวรมหาวิหาร) is a thai-buddhistic temple in the mid of Chinatown in Bangkok (remark: the full name of Bangkok is กรุงเทพมหานคร *มรรัตนโกสินทร์ม ินทรายุธยามหาดิล *พนพรัตน์ราชธานี บุรีรมย์*ุดมราชน เวศน์มหาสถาน*มรพ มาน*วตารสถิตสักก ะทัตติยะวิษณุกรร ประสิทธิ์, transcription: Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit. This is certified as the longest place name in the world in the Guinness book of records. )

I spend a very relaxing and enjoying time in this quiet, not so frequently visited wat. First the stairways to the Mondop close to the entrance of the wat. Here it was not so easy to site the camera on the small travel tripod. So I had to make a few compromises in the composition.

rejeCAM 135HD-23 (orchid cam), Agfa Pro 200 developed in Tetenal Colortec C-41 Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

Great, René! I really like the framing on this one and the colors are once again fantastic.

Wat Chakrawat

A large Buddha statue in side the wat. There is an other very beautiful one in the Ubosot (a type of building in a wat), but this part of the temple is usually closed. So I couldn't take a look at it.

Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

Walking around in the temple area.

Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

The temple areas are full of beautiful plants.

Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

An other view from outside.

Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

A view of the Mondop from a lower area in the wat.

Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

Every Wat has his specialties. This Wat takes care about crocodiles. About 80 years ago somebody brought a half blind crocodile in the Wat and the monks decided to build a pond and to take care of it. In a back part of the temple I found the pond and one large crocodile. It was inactively drowsing. For a first overview picture I attached the small tripod on the top of the fence around the pond area.

Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

To get closer I had to put my hands through the lower part of the fence, close to the crocodile. A few schoolchildren warned me that it is dangerous to put the hands through the fence (schoolchildren are taking care about a mad adult ) and asked me what I'm doing. I explained them the pinhole camera and that it would be great if they wouldn't shake the fence (tripod was attahced to the fence) during the 40 seconds of exposure. The children understood the principle of the pinhole photography quickly. I made several times the experience in Thailand that people know pinhole photography, probably thanks to Lomography. More then once people told me "Oh, it's Lomo" after I explained them what kind of camera I'm using.

Back to the crocodile. I was very cautious with the hands inside the fence mounting the camera on the lower part of the fence. The crocodile looked inactive but it opened one eye and was watching my actions very interested and I was watching the crocodile. I know crocodiles can be very fast. But finally I got my shot, the children were not shaking the fence and I could also successfully remove the camera without being harmed by the crocodile. It was really a very kind crocodile and very kind schoolchildren. Attached files

Wat Chakrawat

On the way to the most sacred image of the Wat.

Attached files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast