Thread: Second lensed project WIP

Second lensed project WIP

Working on my second lensed project right now. (the first is in the background of the first image. white bellows) It's going to turn into a camera piece that will walk in the night leg of the carnaval next month. The idea is actually of a student of mine, but her technical skill aren't enough to actually build the thing so i came in to help.

This version is actually mostly made to see what will and will not work. Most importantly if i can just shoot on paper like i usually do, or if i have to go the film route. Right now it's build around the dimensions of a 5x7 sheet. If i have to shoot film that'll be downgraded to 120 film due to availability of anything else (even that is only because i actually already have the 120 laying here).

Anyways, current version of the camera is made of foamcore for build speed. Will end up being wood later. Bellows are made of thin cardstock (called cartolina here, no idea what it is in english) which will probably be covered in blackout cloth in the final version. Lens came out of an old enlarger that had two pretty big lenses in a group. It's base is slightly bigger than 10cm.

Still left to do: glue everything on the base. test it out.

On an off note, this was taken with the camera with the white bellows.

If cost of film is an issue then don't forget that halftone film can work quite well and can usually be found fairly cheap.

Cheers -

george

It's not the cost of the film itself that's the problem really. It's availability. Any film i'd want to use other than 35mm color i'd have to order and process myself. And then on top of that is the fact that i live in the caribbean. Anything that i want to get to me within a reasonable time i have to fedex, which starts around 75 usd. So yeah, i kind of think twice before i get into that boat.

Been thinking of trying to get some xray film tho. That's supposed to be cheaper too or something?

I got a lifetime supply of x-ray film (literally) on eBay a while back. I have cut it down to 8x10", 4x5", and 2x3", while leaving several packs uncut (probably around 13x16" or so, if I remember correctly). I have not yet had time to really work with it, as I am working on an exhibition in June, but my initial tests show that if you can live with the fact that its speed is akin to photographic paper then it is a very reasonable choice.

Developing film is something anyone can do (believe me, if I can do it, so can anyone), so visit Florida, load up on chemicals, and you're good to go. <g> Actually, I do something like this - when I take the train to New York City I stop off at B&H and get multiple gallons of fixer, since it is so expensive to have shipped.

Cheers -

george

Ow i guess i wasn't really clear there, i do develop my own stuff. But at the moment it's only bw 35mm and 120. I'll have to take a closer look into the xray stuff. Thanks (do you know a good seller of the film on ebay btw?)

Sheet film can be done using tubes - I use BTZS tubes, but have also made them from pvc tubing.

It was quite a while ago when I bought mine and I am guessing that I purchased all of their stock. I looked on eBay to see if anyone is selling the kind that I purchased but did not find any. It may be one of those things that you need to put a search on and have them email you each time one comes available.

Cheers -

george

I have some jobo tanks here. I'll keep looking for that xray, didn't see any on ebay myself either.