Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third lensed project. First wooden LF.

Third lensed project. First wooden LF.

So i've finally made this (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1327440076/) study into the final product.
    Full wood 5x7 camera. Built from scratch.

The front board has l/r up/down tilting. Lensboard is removable. The lens on it in the picture is an EL-NIKKOR 1:5.6 135mm enlarger lens.
    Since i'll probably be using this mostly with scrap lenses i can just make a new lens board for the lens i have and throw it on there.
    This camera will be walking in the carnival parade at the end of the month, and there it will be using this http://i.imgur.com/UY7TM.jpg lens. It's an element out of a enlarging group in a very old enlarger that's about 10cm at the base.

Push pull focus system. Kind of stiff since it's simply bolts running in a groove. Not sure how to make it smoother either. Wheels i'd suppose but i don't have any just laying around. Bellows made following some instructions by banana_legs. It's white blackout cloth and black cloth sandwiching cardboard strips. Used bison kit spray on adhesive which worked fairly well. It'll collapse fully without giving me too much springiness.

clamps for holding ground glass (sandblasted window shutter. bought off the shelf at hardware store) and foam core film holder (i'll post pics later).

Some images taken as test with the enlarger lens. All images taken on adorama paper 5x7.

f45 6 seconds

f22 5 [img][/img]seconds

f22 1 second

Well done; the images are looking good. Beware though, building view cameras can be addictive; I have made 6 and am planning number 7...

Did you pre-flash the paper before putting it in the camera? The pre-flashing can help to tame the contrast of paper. Also have you considered giving the inside of the bellows a quick spray with black paint? If you have any bright lights just outside of the imaging area, the lens will focus them onto the inside of the bellows and the white interior may then cause a slight fogging of the image. I have actually considered trying reflective bellows however as the fogging will essentially reduce contrast, which is what is needed with paper negatives anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Evan

Great project. Are the bellows really white inside? I would feel much better with inside black bellows.

Fantastic looking camera..and results Colin

@banana_legs: I'm quite familiar with the addictiveness. I have a bunch of pinhole cameras looking at me from the top of the closet in my darkroom. The paper wasn't pre-flashed. That's something i still haven't actually come around to trying. How does this chance exposure times btw? Or doesn't it have any effect on that?

@renon: Yeah, that was kind of a slipup. the blackout cloth is white, but i forgot to keep that side on the outside when i was closing the bellows up. I didn't notice any ill effects yet tho, so fingers crossed. Otherwise i'll just do a little spray painting.

@colray: thnx.

I'm sometimes probably a little bit too super cautious.

I would strongly recommend to pre-flash the paper. It's really easy to do and don't need a lot of time for getting the right pre-flash exposure time. You can master the contrasts much better than without pre-flashing. Depending on the paper the sensisitivity can be increased up to to a factor of two.

If cost is the reason you are using paper then you might want to consider halftone film, which is quite inexpensive.

Cheers -

george

@renon: I'll try it out one of these days then. As soon as i finish making 10 "film" holders

@GLSmyth: Not so much price as availability. I live on a tiny island in the caribbean. Everything i need i have to import with all the fees that come on top. Cheap is still pretty expensive then. I was looking on eBay if i can find xray film but no such luck, paper on the other hand i have a stack of 500 5x7s here. So in the mean time i'll keep trucking on that until i can manage finding something else. I was thinking of cutting up some 120 film actually, but not sure if it would work or not.

Did another one with pre-flashed paper. Rather pleased with the results.
    Model is in more or less the same conditions as the first one.

Managed to get some 4x5 film holders while on a business trip. Converted one of the old 5x7 holders to hold the 4x5 in the camera and voilla I now have a LF camera with some proper film holders I can trust.
    Simple still life shot on paper to test if the system worked. Exposure time is about a minute and seven seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast