Thread: Canon 8800F frame cropping

500+ Posts

Canon 8800F frame cropping

Hello fellow photographers,
    recently I have installed my new scanner, Canon 8800F. So far, I have scanned just two 120 color negative films. I have observed that the scanner automatically recognizes individual frames, which is convenient, but when the frame is very dark near its edges (which really happen in pinhole pictures), the scanner crops it. (When heavily underexposed, the scanner does not recognize the film at all.)
    I haven't found any setting to avoid that. I have just tried to scan the film as "color slide film" -- the frame was ok, but I could not get rid of the color cast caused by the mask.
    (The workflow I use: open IrfanView, choose TWAIN source, then File -- Acquire/Batch Scanning. It opens Canon 8800F scan/prescan window. Should I use something different?)

Any help will be appreciated.

Martin

Take a look at the Vuescan software ( www.hamrick.com ). this software offers a lot for not much money and you can forget the hassle with the twain driver software.

500+ Posts

Thanks, René,
    it looks being worth the price, and it is even ported to Linux.
    Thank you for the tip.

Martin

Martin, to use the full power of Vuescan I would recommend to buy the "The VueScan Bible" book (ISBN 978-1-933952-69-7) written by Sascha Steinhoff.