Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinhole iPhone app

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Pinhole iPhone app

http://leborddelapiscine.blogspot.com/
    This looks like a great tool. I have only just installed it, but I am pretty sure that it does everything that a pinhole photographer needs. ISO values go down to .25. Reciprocity correction charts are available on the website - I just installed a dozen of them from the website, and once I figure out how to build the charts, I am sure that I can build my own for my non-standard materials. I already use a light meter app for my phone, but this one is designed specifically for pinhole.

Pinhole iPhone app

Earl, I downloaded this app about a week ago and have found it quite useful. The reciprocity curves are such a nice feature. I have one huge complaint though, and I'd like to know if your app does the same thing: every time I open the program, the app defaults back to f/150. I'll put in all my settings, meter, and exit out to use my timer or what have you, and when I go back in, the darn thing defaults back to f/150 and I have to re-enter all of my camera's specs. It is enough of an inconvenience that I have stopped using the app.
    Coincidentally however, I recently 'liked' f295 on facebook and the next day the designer of the program posted about his latest update to the software. I mentioned this problem to him in a comment but have not yet heard back from him.

Blog Entries

Pinhole iPhone app

I will be shooting and using this app in the next few days. I will let you know what I experience. Thanks for the observations.

Pinhole iPhone app

Have you made sense of his method of creating one's own reciprocity curve? I see what he means by editing the code for the curve file, but they seem to be just simple multipliers. (I'm referring to the example on his blog that illustrates the 2*15 multiplier)
    I'd like to adapt the formula that banana_legs came up with for Ilford MGIV RC paper. I have used it with quite good results. If I remember correctly, the formula is:

T = t + [.0009(t^2.2304)]

Where (T) is the time adjusted for RF and (t) is the time suggested by a pinhole exposure chart.

I don't know how I could use banana_legs' form in the way the curves are expressed in the Pinhole Assist curve file. Maybe I'm missing something really simple here, or maybe I'm just in over my head!

Blog Entries

Pinhole iPhone app

I have not taken the time to look at it. Perhaps I can push some numbers around after work tonight.

Pinhole iPhone app

Quote Originally Posted by 2008
    Earl, I downloaded this app about a week ago and have found it quite useful. The reciprocity curves are such a nice feature. I have one huge complaint though, and I'd like to know if your app does the same thing: every time I open the program, the app defaults back to f/150. I'll put in all my settings, meter, and exit out to use my timer or what have you, and when I go back in, the darn thing defaults back to f/150 and I have to re-enter all of my camera's specs. It is enough of an inconvenience that I have stopped using the app.
    Coincidentally however, I recently 'liked' f295 on facebook and the next day the designer of the program posted about his latest update to the software. I mentioned this problem to him in a comment but have not yet heard back from him.
    I have the f250 problem too and waiting for an update, but this app is very usefull for pinholers

Blog Entries

Pinhole iPhone app

I tested Pinhole Assist on two different occasions in the past five days, and I find it to be a very capable pinhole light meter/calculator/timer. When I open it, it displays the same settings as when I last closed it. I am running it on an iPhone 3G. With a few more refinements, it will be everything a pinhole photographer needs. Things I would like to see improved - 1. one-third stop ISO numbers (now it only includes a few commonly used film ISO numbers). I want to be able to value a film up or down from its nominal value. 2. Aperture f-values with every power of the square root of two included up to at least f1024. I have many cameras that are f350 to f500 and beyond. 3. The user should be able to enter the focal distance of the camera with the keypad, and the timer calculator should be able to handle it. Now, you have to choose from a list, and it stops at 200 mm. Obviously, the designers of this software have not shot at 12x20 inches, or maybe even 20x24 (soon, I hope).

Pinhole iPhone app

Thanks for posting about this app. I've been wanting something for my iPhone for pinhole, and was planning on making something myself since I didn't expect anyone to produce something that has what I need. I'm just too busy right now to develop anything, let alone film. (heh) So I bought it yesterday, and at first glance seems pretty good. Hopefully they can address the issues that Earl brings up.

It doesn't look like I'll have much time in the next couple of weeks to do any pinhole photography since we're packing to move to a house we are purchasing. A house where I'll have a darkroom!!! This summer should be very fruitful for analog photography for me... of course aided by my digital tools.

Pinhole iPhone app

I am running it with an iphone 4s and the aperture is reset to f150 each time... But I encourage to use it, very handy !

Pinhole iPhone app

I was a hard user of "LightMeter by Ambertation" before, very handy too for pinhole photography.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast