Thread: Acrophobia (fighting demons from the past)

Acrophobia (fighting demons from the past)

Hi all,

Again a lengthy intro, sorry.

I have a bit of high anxiety (who doesn't) and when I was young, there was this bad dream I had every now and then. Not a real nightmare, but a dream out of which you awake with uneasy, unsettling feelings. It always was a variation of the same theme: I'm on some large and steep staircase, without something to hold on to. No doubt it was related to growing up, insecurity, and so on. No permanent damage, don't worry
    It has been so long ago since the last time it occurred, I can't even remember when, but I do remember the overall theme.

Fast forward to 2012: we have formed a small group of pinhole enthousiasts, meeting every two/three months.
    And the last time, one of us showed his photography graduation portfolio, where had created pinhole images that show the anxiety, fears, dreams and emotions of psychiatric patients.

There's the link: I got sort of inspired by his work and the story behind it, and gave myself the "visualise that old bad dream" assignment.
    This is the first set of results, taken on some art object besides the A16 highway, called "lightning" It's quite high and steep, It took me some three attempts and deep breaths to really go up to the top...
    All pictures taken on outdated Ektachrome, cross processed.
    The first is looking downwards, and the second is the same shot but with the stairs disappearing in white, I stamped out the fence... Not sure if this is necessary.
    The other two shots are one taken upwards, and another, taken looking down with some girl coming up.

There's more to come, and I'm also looking for a large stairs inside some building, to grasp the dream even better.
    All reactions, criticism and comments welcome, as always.

As they say in Dutch: "wordt vervolgd!" ("to be continued")

Cheers, Daany Attached files

Here's the photoshopped image

Attached files

looking up

Attached files

Danny,

I get a little of the old acrophobic response looking at the first one (I never had any hint of acrophobia when I was young until I fell 16 ft off a sandstone cliff at age 21). I can't tell any difference between the two versions.

The shot looking up doesn't have the drama the one going down does.

I like the inclusion of the figure, but that one looks cropped and the highlights seem too subdued. It actually looks a little flat to me.

Can't wait to see what other thrills you have in store for this series.

Nick, thanks for a quick reaction!
    I corrected the title, and uploaded the proper Girl picture, less flat.
    And you'r right, it is cropped from the series of 6X12 negative, a square image seemde more appropiate.
    So again: The little girl coming up, notice that she's using her hands on this steep staircase... Attached files

Danny, I like the concept and my favorite is the image going up, for two reasons. First it is a very graphic photo with interesting lines and forms. Secondly it appears to be a stairway to nowhere or the "Stairway to Heaven".

Jim