Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Hammock in soot

  1. #1

    Hammock in soot

    A test of another batch of glop to see if it has printing times consistent with the last batch; luckily it does!

    The image is made with a digital negative from a scan of the paper negative original (posted here).

    The glop (enough for 3 8"x10" tissues at 50ml per sheet) was 11g gelatine, 6g sugar in 125ml of water, with 3g of soot which had been ground with a little gum Arabic to make a thick paste (the soot packs down to 8ml in volume so is quite light). I spirit sensitised with 1ml of Ammonium Potassium Chromate (20% solution) to 12ml acetone. The print is is 10"x8" onto an A4 sheet of 110lb cartridge paper which was sized with2 coats of 3% gelatine, hardened with formalin.

    EDIT: I forgot to mention that it was a single transfer.

    Again the soot has produced a rich warm brown colour.

    Best regards,

    Evan Attached files

  2. #2
    500+ Posts earlj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    5,745
    Blog Entries
    7

    Hammock in soot

    Nicely done, Evan. I bet it looks much better in the hand. I wonder if there are any Carbon 60 (fullerene) molecules in that soot . . . Your recipe is interesting - I pour 1ml of glop per square inch of coated area - you used 50 ml for 80 square inches. I suspect that your image does not show much relief. I like the idea of using a digital scan of a paper negative for an alt-process print.

  3. #3

    Hammock in soot

    Evan, that is a beautifully crafted image. I am most impressed with your efforts and taken with its beauty.
    Sam H.

  4. #4

    Hammock in soot

    Earl,

    With any luck there is some C60 in there! I suppose that if it was all C60, the subject of the image would have to be geodesic domes of some sort; a radome or a fancy greenhouse.

    Yes you are right in that there is minimal relief in the print due to the thin pour of glop. I have not managed to find a source of magnetic sheet yet to make a decent frame to hold the glop, so the pour is direct onto the tissue substrate and lots of frantic scraping to confine it before it runs away. I did try a wooden frame but with limited success as the glop managed to escape and went everywhere.

    As I am getting quite good at 'juggling' the glop, I tried to pour some tissue tonight but with 100ml for the 8x10 area. I have used half the pigment load in an attempt to get similar exposure times to my previous tissue, but hardening deeper into the gelatine layer. At the moment, my exposure almost reaches to the tissue layer in the shadows, with the occasional adherence issue if I happen to not get the board quite flat when I poor leading to a thin side. The pour went better than I hoped so in a few days time, I shall try to see how this new thicker tissue behaves (although if the argyrotype chemicals turn up before then, I may get distracted!)

    Sam, thankyou for your nice comments; the scan does not do it justice though and it is much better in the hand.

    Best regards,

    Evan

  5. #5

    Hammock in soot

    I have realised I forgot to post an update on the thicker tissue; I accidentally mated it to an unsized piece of water colour paper and half way through developing, the image detached from the paper and ended up down the sink :B

    Evan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •