Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early April

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Early April

For the first time since July 10, 2011, I do not have any film waiting to be processed. Here is a shot from early April, when the plum tree was in full song. The framing is not great. I have yet to make the definitive image of this tree in bloom.

130 mm on Kodak view camera, .400 mm pinhole
    11 minutes, 26 seconds
    4x5 expired tri-x 400
    Thornton 2 bath developer
    scanned from negative, levels and curve Attached files

Early April

Pretty good detail for 11 minutes. What happened; the God of Wind not notice you setting up your tripod? Or maybe you have one of the new stealth models .

I don't know but what a bit of artful burning in the top and lower corners might just change your opinion on definitive. I like the composition, a lot. I probably wouldn't do it that and it would be my loss.

Early April

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    I like the composition, a lot.
    Totally agree. This picture is lovely to look at, the composition is so harmonious, & the depth/range of tones adds to it.
    The framing is great, I would be very proud of this one.

Early April

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    I don't know but what a bit of artful burning in the top and lower corners might just change your opinion on definitive. I like the composition, a lot.
    Totally agree that the framing is very good and I think that Marv may be onto something... give it a whirl and see...

Blog Entries

Early April

Something like this? Or is this too heavy-handed?

Attached files

Early April

This is what I was thinking Earl; something to make the blooms "pop". Hope you don't mind. Although I am still not 100% satisfied with the sky portion but then it's a work in process.....

Attached files

Blog Entries

Early April

Well, there you go . . . on my Windows 7 Sony VAIO laptop, the picture that you posted is much like the second image that I edited and posted from my iMac. Your version looks way too dark on the Macintosh. All of my images for the last couple of years have been scanned on the iMac and then adjusted for levels and contrast on that computer.

There is a lot of difference between computers on the web, and it seems almost futile to converse about images that can be so different from machine to machine.

Early April

.....and it looks a little darker than your second on my lap top, where I edited it, but almost too dark on my .....

Actually the more I look at it the more I am reminded of a print by Paul Caponigro, The White Running Deer and the stark contrast of the deer against the background.

Subjectivity; the Chaos Theory of photography. A print, a print.....my kingdom for a PRINT!

Early April

Earl, I like YOUR second version the best on my screen.
    Sam H.

Early April

Monitor problems aside, I can see what you're trying to achieve with the burning in. But you lose the depth of the scene in the process.
    Earl, you had it bang on first go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast