Thread: Father's Day Roll

Father's Day Roll

My one request on Father's Day a couple of weeks back was to have a little time alone, which really meant time with cameras and dogs. Accordingly, I packed a bag with pinhole and Polaroid cameras and went down to the river. The water is running very low (more like mid-August than mid-June), which meant lots of exposed sycamore roots and lots of otherwise unavailable angles. (When I posted some pictures of this tree a while back, Marv suggested I don some hip-waders to explore further. Since the water was only about knee-deep, shorts and a pair of Crocs were all that was needed.)

This is the one roll I put through my Zero Image 612B camera. I tried to work my way around the tree, setting up the camera both horizontally and vertically. Exposures were about 5 seconds using Kodak BW400CN (a very reliable film for pinhole, I've found). Very light adjustments and processing in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Here's the first shot: Attached files

Father's Day Roll

The second:

Attached files

Father's Day Roll

A vertical shot, from a bit further back:

Attached files

Father's Day Roll

Shot # 4:

Attached files

Father's Day Roll

This is the fifth image, from the other side of the tree and looking downriver (I think this one is my favorite):

Attached files

Father's Day Roll

And the last one, another try at a vertical shot. After this, I headed home to mix drinks and grill steaks with my family. Not a bad Father's Day all around.

Attached files

Father's Day Roll

Wow....I've suggested a lot of folks do a lot of things, some anatomically impossible I might add, but they rarely take me up on the suggestion. I'm glad you waited for low water because these are great!

Won't even try to pick an absolute favorite but the second, fifth and last would make a nice triptych, , , nod, nod.....say no more.......

Father's Day Roll

I like the whole series but my favorites are 3 & 4 because of the location of the camera and the view it provides

Father's Day Roll

My favourite is your favourite Dave. It is dramatic, the foreground chaos of tree roots lead our eye into an oasis of calm. And the cluster of leaves to the left fill an otherwise bland & lifeless void.

Father's Day Roll

Excellent series.
    You are so fortunate to live near a river where the trees can grow undisturbed.

I love them all and they go together as a very fine set.