Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Turn an Old Enlarger into a Camera - The Omega Frankencam

Omega Frankencam

Somebody was throwing away an old Omega 35mm enlarger, so I harvested the monorail segment and made some additions. I found these quirky 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" single sheet film holders on ebay for a steal, a set of lenses whose threads fit an Ilex shutter I had in a box (lenses were $18, turn out to be about 90mm focal length).

I'm still working on a tripod mount solution... either milled directly into the bottom of the brass rod just behind the lensboard, or a separate chunk that slips on over the nose of the rod?

Test shots came out well this afternoon (I didn't scan them in, just a ship at the harbor) shooting wide open (it's only setting - no iris in the shutter for controlling aperture size).

Film holders swap out with a piece of frosted acrylic for composing. Due to my tool selection and lack of confidence cutting perfect donuts with a hand-saw in brass, I've settled for a half-ring out of thin stock so I can have my shutter speeds marked off... until I can find a local machinist who can cut out a full shutter ring for the front end out of something a little beefier. Attached files

Omega Frankencam

Front end:

Attached files

Omega Frankencam

Hehehe i have an old macro bellows laying around that i was wondering if i could somehow use in a camera. The fact that it's a straight bellows has kept me until now, but this seems a good way to go about it.
    Quite eager to see the results of it.

Omega Frankencam

I cannot recommend it more highly... it's great fun building the back end! I'm hoping to have the tripod mount machined out by early next week before I leave for out of town, and might be able to post a few test shots then?

Omega Frankencam

The Omega D2 makes a great 4x5 camera, too! Here is a link to an old post here about my home made "omegacam". I shot with it for quite a while, getting great results. Mostly with a couple different Wollensak enlarger lenses. I was mostly shooting at night, so no need for a shutter, and I could stop it down for different depths of field.

http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?m-1291578083/

Not too sure about the best way to go about making a tripod mount for yours... seems keeping it balanced would be a tricky prospect.

Have fun!

dm

Omega Frankencam

Just made one from an old enlager i totally forgot about. i can shoot max 6x6 with it if i use the space for the negative carrier to put my photopaper.
    Since i use photopaper i just use the red safe flip thingy as a shutter.

Omega Frankencam

Just returned from Mexico, and managed to get the Frankencamera and it's cadre of paper negatives back and forth across two borders. All shots are on Arista VCRC negatives, unflashed... I was shooting at a printmaking residency and artist center in Coatepec, Veracruz.

Interior of a studio with an etching press... Attached files

Omega Frankencam

Hollander...
    Attached files

Omega Frankencam

Outside looking into the paper-making studio...

Attached files

Omega Frankencam

Inside the paper-making studio the next day...
    Attached files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast