Thread: River Liffey - Dublin

River Liffey - Dublin

A bridge thread

The river Liffey divides the center of Dublin in two parts. After passing the harbor area it flows in the [s]Atlantic Ocean[/s] Irish sea (Jimmy: Many thanks for the correction). The Liffey is spanned by numerous bridges today.

P-Sharan STD-35e, 20 mm focal length, 0.16 mm film base pinhole, f/130, Fuji Neopan 100 Acros, developed in Ilfosol 3 1 + 9, 5.5 minutes.

A first view of the river Liffey close to the area where the Grand Canal flows in the river Liffey. In the background the most modern bridge in Dublin. Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

The Samuel Beckett bridge designed by Santiago Calatrava Valls openend 2009. The bridge is 120 m long and 48 meters high. Calatrava is a great architect. I've seen already some of his buildings and bridges in Valencia, Spain a few years ago. In Zurich the Stadelhofen railway station is designed by him.

Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

A view from the other side. BTW as I took these pictures it was heavily raining and I tried to protect the cardboard P-Sharan camera as good as possible. As it was very windy as well the small travel tripod was an advantage. I put the camera as good as possible in a wind shadow and protected it from the wind also with my body. The consequence is clear: I was wet but the camera survived and I could take the pictures I wanted. :-)

Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

The O'Connell bridge connecting the two main parts of the city center.

In the mid slightly to the left in the background the world's larges "toothpick". But this is another story I will show you in another thread later on. Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

One of the smaller bridges (unfortunately I forgot to write the name in my notebook). - It's the Ha'penny bridge (thanks to Google Streetview ), a pedestrian bridge built in 1816, the first iron bridge in Dublin. The official name is Liffey bridge. Ha'penny bridge comes from the fact that everybody had to pay toll of half a penny for crossing the bridge. Later on the toll was increased to one penny and a half. So the name was also Penny Ha'penny bridge.

Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

A street lamp on an other bridge ( I think it is the Capel Street bridge)

Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

And finally again a bridge built by Santiago Calatrava, the James Joyce bridge. The single-span 40 m long steel bridge opened June 2003.
    Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

A closer view of the bridge. Calatrava is really a creative genius. The path on the sides of the bridge is built with glass panels.

It would be really worth to explore all the bridge along the river Liffey more in detail. It has a lot more than I show in this thread. The first stone bridge was built 1428 and many of the other stone bridges bridges around 1600. Attached files

River Liffey - Dublin

Splendid photographs of a splendid array of bridges!

River Liffey - Dublin

These are awesome René, You certainly did them justice. I especially like the photos of the Samuel Beckett bridge.
    Small correction for you, the Liffey flows into the Irish Sea.