Thread: Wisconsin Lake Cabin

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

Last weekend (July 7th and 8th) Pat and I stayed at her family's cabin on Beaver Dam Lake, near Cumberland, Wisconsin. I had to try out my recently acquired Rodenstock 150 mm lens, but I captured a couple of pinhoie images along the way. The first one is a Marv tribute.

75 mm focal distance, .300 mm aperture
    Fuji Acros 100
    3 minutes 39 seconds
    Thornton 2 bath developer
    scanned from the negative Attached files

Blog Entries

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

This one displays the willow tree that long ago leaned out over the lake. The trunks have grown up from the horizontal main stem in several places.

75 mm plywood camera
    .300 mm aperture
    Fuji Acros 100
    10 minutes exposure
    Thornton 2 bath developer
    scanned from the negative Attached files

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

And a fine tribute it is. At first blush it seems pretty simple, maybe even a little ordinary, but on closer inspection there Is a lot going on.

For instance, and in no particular order, the pavers that anchor the lower left corner really move your eye up the stairs. The splash of sunlight adds a nice dynamic element, almost like having motion in the frame. Then there is that tree; dead center. Ever heard of rules of composition Earl? But wait, what's this??? That rule breaking tree makes all sorts of neat little triangles in the railing, all the while rising from the splash of sun. You clever devil you . And on the way up the stairs fade into a mysterious shadow.

Wonderful Earl.

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

Earl, two very beautiful pictures and a very impressive interpretation of your first picture from Marv.

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

Earl, I especially like #2! It is a testament of its will to live regardless of all its troubles.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

Rules of composition? I don't know much about art, but I know what I like. The eye decides.

Wisconsin Lake Cabin

Nice work Earl.

The first one is certainly an homage to Marv but that second one kind of reminds me of your most famous pinhole image (featuring a large tree branch overhanging the Mississippi along with several geese ).

Great stuff.