Thread: Weeds

Weeds

The sun was out all day today and it even managed not to rain for once.

The weeds by the pond have loved the last few months of wet, so I though I would take their picture.

6cm x 9cm pinhole camera. 37mm focal length, 0.2mm diameter pinhole.
    Pre-flashed Ilford Variable Contrast paper negative through a yellow filter.
    f/185 for 38 minute, 49 second exposure.

Best regards,

Evan Attached files

Weeds

one man's weed is another man's...

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Weeds

. . . . a Google search coughed up the following: "Help is out in the weeds again" . . . .

I like this image, Evan. Like gangrene, it grows on you.

Weeds

The bindweed is a pest, right up until it flowers; I can tolerate the mass of white trumpets for a few days. The weeds in the picture will not get that chance however as I ran the lawnmower over them just after I developed the negative 8) I just wish my corn and pea plants would grow so vigorously; they both make great photography subjects and taste great.

Best regards,

Evan

Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by 2068
    The bindweed is a pest, right up until it flowers; I can tolerate the mass of white trumpets for a few days.
    For years, I looked for perennial Morning Glory vines for the yard, after seeing some fences covered with the vines year-round, and the beautiful blue trumpets much of the year. Well, I finally found some and planted a couple of gallon plants next to a redwood pergola in the back yard.

I think they might be just a little more invasive than bindweed! Still pretty, and they don't die back to crappy looking dead vines, but they are EVERYWHERE on a 1/3 acre lot! Including *inside* a solarium room, if we don't keep ripping them out...

The bindweed does make for a nice photo opportunity, though. The shaded leaves almost glow, suggesting an IR effect!

Dave

Weeds

This does have a nice IR sort of effect I like very much.

Weeds

Thanks for the nice comments.

The IR effect is due to using the yellow filter on the lens; the VC paper used for the negative is responsive to green and blue but with the yellow filter, it is only the green component that is captured. As the leaves are bright green, they tend to look very pale in the image. I find it quite fascinating how leaves reflect both green and near-IR light so strongly.

Best regards,

Evan