Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started in camera building

Getting started in camera building

Can you guys recommend for me a book on large format camera building? I'd like something that covers sliding box cameras as well as bellows based. Also, and perhaps most importantly, how to make/salvage/repurpose lenses, apertures, and shutters.

So yeah, soup to nuts

Thanks!

Take a look at this link: http://home.online.no/~gjon/large_format.htm

Jon has very good information on his web pages, also a page with links to other websites and books.

Good luck with your LF projects.

oh nice! thanks!

There's also this book, Primitive Photography.

~Joe

Thanks Joe! Wasn't sure if there was as much about lenses in there. I'll check it out.

The book "Primitive Photography" is very good. I have it as wll. I forgot to mention it.

Another vote for "Primitive Photography." It is an informative book, and well worth the price.

cool thanks. this is going to be a slow progression sort of thing. something to fill my time in the evenings. sometimes i have a tendency to let these projects take me away from actual photo making, and i gotta get a handle on that.

I can't help but chime in and say that the new F295 Historic Process Workbook has a chapter on making lenses that greatly simplifies the process of making an achromatic duplet (I have it down to only 3 inexpensive parts with assembly at about 2 minutes!)... it also covers hyperfocal camera construction, not sliding box... we'll have something on sliding boxes coming soon.

here's a link:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/29513--The-F295-Historic-Process-Workbook

Thanks Tom! I've been eyeing that workbook and thinking about it. may have to pull the trigger on it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast