Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruins of Alt-Regensberg

Ruins of Alt-Regensberg

Looking for an improvement of the presentation of my pictures I stumbled over an article about laser transfer using acrylic gel medium. I had to try it immediately and chosen to make my first laser transfer on poplar plywood. I scanned the negative (4x5 pinhole, 0.40 mm @ 119 mm, Fomapan 100, developed in Fomadon R09), processed it in PS and printed it with my laser printer on white paper. I cut the plywood to the right size (21 cm x 25.5 cm), applied acrylic gel medium and put immediately the laser print in contact with the acrylic gel. On the other day, after the gel was dry, I watered the paper and rubbed it away with my fingers. This is not very critical as the laser toner is bound completely on the acrylic gel.

Here my very first laser transfer on wood.

Last edited by renon; 04-06-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr

Lovely image Rene, keep going.

I do similar processes then hand colour the image with combinations of paint, textas, pens, pencils and crayons.

Goodooga-Church-03.jpg
    Last edited by rayh; 10-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    "The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each man to himself", Edward Steichen, in Arthur Rothstein 1986, 19.

Wow, this looks great and I assume that the scan presented here is only a poor representation to the original.

That is something I have to try myself ... and I am not yet sure if I should say thank you or not at this pint in time

This is very interesting! Do you have a link to the process instructions?

Many thanks for your very kind comments.

rayh: very nice hand coloured picture. I thought also about to colorize the transfered picture but as I'm not a painter I better stick with tinting. :-)

rst: the scan is not bad but the original looks clearly better. I'm really astonished how much details I can get with this transfer process.

jon: If you google for "laser transfer" you can get a lot of information but here a link: http://www.goldenpaints.com/artist/directransfer.php
    Last edited by renon; 10-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Very nice, I'll put it on my very long list of cool things that other people do well and I should try some day...I need to live to a ripe old age.

spiffy..: Many thanks for your comment. You are not alone. I explained my wife recently that I have such a lot of ideas what I have to do that I must reach an age 150 years in minimum. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by renon View Post
    Many thanks for your very kind comments.

rayh: very nice hand coloured picture. I thought also about to colorize the transfered picture but as I'm not a painter I better stick with tinting. :-)

rst: the scan is not bad but the original looks clearly better. I'm really astonished how much details I can get with this transfer process.

jon: If you google for "laser transfer" you can get a lot of information but here a link: http://www.goldenpaints.com/artist/directransfer.php
    Thanks for the information, and the link! I really want to try this....

Very impressive, René. I, too, need to add this to my already-too-long list of things to try.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Quote Originally Posted by renon View Post
    Looking for an improvement of the presentation of my pictures I stumbled over an article about laser transfer using acrylic gel medium. I had to try it immediately and chosen to make my first laser transfer on poplar plywood. I scanned the negative (4x5 pinhole, 0.40 mm @ 119 mm, Fomapan 100, developed in Fomadon R09), processed it in PS and printed it with my laser printer on white paper. I cut the plywood to the right size (21 cm x 25.5 cm), applied acrylic gel medium and put immediately the laser print in contact with the acrylic gel. On the other day, after the gel was dry, I watered the paper and rubbed it away with my fingers. This is not very critical as the laser toner is bound completely on the acrylic gel.

Here my very first laser transfer on wood. Larger version here
    Very cool. Does it have to be a laser print? Ink jet won't work? Guess I could read the link huh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast