Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis II - Multi cell lensed camera

Genesis II - Multi cell lensed camera

My recently finished multicell (20) lensed camera which was a natural progression to my previous pinhole effort, the original 'Genesis'.
    http://www.f295.org/main/showthread....th-new-grid%29

It's a close up camera intended primarily for portraits. (Obviously I've some work to do judging by the first efforts below!)
    The camera features 150mm lenses (simple plastic double convex) with concertina focusing allowing me to focus on objects from a distance of 300mm (where 1:1 magnification is achieved) to approx 550mm. The concertina focusing was possible by using pvc pipes that slide inside a grid, thereby maintaining each lens' projection inside that individual cell. Accurate focusing is achieved with the aid of a simple 'ground glass' (perspex and scotch tape) and the shutter is a simple sliding plate. Other features include focus lock, focus scale, linear slides for smooth focusing and a tripod mount in the base.
    With paper my indoor exposures are in the range of 2 to 30 seconds. (I need it long enough to be able to operate the shutter reliably and short enough so that a person can hold still!). Aperature is variable as I can fabricate aperature plates as I need them, for now the wide open setting and the 12mm aperature plate work well for indoor exposures. Of course the aperature changes depending on the focus draw, so wide open it's range is f7 to f11 and with the 12mm aperature plate it's range f15 to f25. For now I'm using a 'one-shot' type film holder that I need to load in the dark. I'm on the look out for some reasonably priced film holders. Until then I'm limited to one shot per outing so for now it's a studio camera.
    The resulting image requires 'transposing' of the cells in order to create the final image, although the original un-transposed version has it's own abstract charm.
    At 1:1 magnification (@300mm) each cell lines up with it's neighbor and creates a 'normal' image (8x10" is pretty much perfect for a 1:1 representation of a face!). Below 300mm a certain amount of overlapping in cells creates another original and interesting effect. It's interesting how your brain assembles these overlapping cells to form the 'expected' image. It's all much easier to explain with pictures than words!

and the first portraits - tough to frame and focus for self portraits...

That's very cool! I like the shoe and telephone shots. I am not so much of a people photo person.

Then I followed the link to your photo-blog - wow! Amazing stuff there. Your slit camera is amazing. Am at work now but will have a good read later on.

Thanks!

Simon

Fantastic! I reckon the three eyed portrait really shows what the camera is about .

Colin

Man you make some awesome stuff. If i'm to guess correctly every lens has it's own box that extends all the way to the photographic medium right?
    I'm not even done with one camera and i already want to try this (been thinking about doing something with 10+ pinholes in one camera, but with mirrors or something to change the orientation of every hole. Never got around to even the design stage on that).

Good work. Looking forward to more.
    p.s.: i'm the guy that linked your work on that reddit article about the artist with the $85k camera.

Great project, Jimmy. I've always liked the idea of multicellular cameras, and this is one nicely built.

As for having to reverse each cell in PS, perhaps a different lens setup would optically reverse each cell in-camera. Sounds expensive, however, as the lenses would be more complex. Or a mirror step, like what Dave mentioned.

Thanks for posting.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Thanks folks. Dave, I had wondered if that was you! Much appreciated.
    The mirror is a good idea but I think that would make the size of the camera way too big. It's not such a big deal for me to transpose the cells in photoshop, so, for now, I'm happy with that.

I really like what you have done here. A totally different look to these images. Great work!

Another, copped to square. Slowly getting a handle on this thing..

and another...

Last edited by Jimmy G; 11-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.

"Jimmy, great and excellent work. I like the results of you "Pop20" (I have one of these cheapo Chinese Pop9 cameras, bought directly in China and not in Vienna :-) ) very much.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast