Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Flashlight illumination and subject isolation...sorta flat

  1. #1
    Senior Member spiffytumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    207

    Flashlight illumination and subject isolation...sorta flat

    My wife is a potter/ceramicist and I wanted to shoot some pinholes of her work and was hoping to isolate the work from any sort of background to get sort of a floating look. I shot these on 4x5 film at night against a black background and illuminated them with a flashlight in multi-minute exposures on Fuji Acros 100. I got the isolation I was going for, but was not anticipating how flat it would look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Great looking ceramics! The even illumination of the lighting looks fine to me.

  3. #3
    These are Very Nice.... and the images are not too bad either .
    Actually I think that flashlight worked just fine.
    Shoot Film Not People

  4. #4
    500+ Posts colray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Albany WA
    Posts
    607
    Looks great!

  5. #5
    Senior Member dwerg85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Curacao, Caribbean
    Posts
    293
    Those look fine to me. How long was the exposure for these using the flashlight?

  6. #6
    Senior Member spiffytumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by dwerg85 View Post
    Those look fine to me. How long was the exposure for these using the flashlight?
    The exposure varied based on how reflective I thought the surface was, but a couple of minutes is about right.

  7. #7
    The flat lighting is not bad, it fits to the subjects. Congratulations to your wife for the great pottery. To make the lighting more interesting you could place the light source offset to one side and illuminate the other side with a reflective area, white paper or a mirror for more harsh light.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr

  8. #8
    Senior Member spiffytumbleweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by renon View Post
    The flat lighting is not bad, it fits to the subjects. Congratulations to your wife for the great pottery. To make the lighting more interesting you could place the light source offset to one side and illuminate the other side with a reflective area, white paper or a mirror for more harsh light.
    I think lighting primarily from the sides will give better depth...next time.

  9. #9
    500+ Posts dvoracek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffytumbleweed View Post
    I think lighting primarily from the sides will give better depth...next time.
    or one big source at about 45 degrees. a window, an umbrella.
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •