Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly branches on curved walls

Curly branches on curved walls

Hello from Finland!

I'm an 18-year-old photography enthusiast. I've been dreaming of making my own camera and developing photographs for many years, and finally I got around acquiring the required information and materials. I've been lurking on this forum every now and then. The numerous great pinhole photos taken by forum members have totally impressed me — especially the snowy ones. It's still winter where I live, and I'm hoping to take some great snow photos.

My pinhole photography and development follows the K.I.S.S. principle in quite many aspects. All of my darkroom equipment and camera parts are reused materials or plain junk. For instance, I use a small battery operated bicycle tail light as a safelight. And of course I develop in the bathroom.

The pinhole camera is much like those Oatmeal box cameras — curved focal plane and a paper negative. The paper is Adox Easy Print RC VC of the size of approx. 6x4". The camera gives me an angle of view of about 70 degrees with a nice wide angle or a fisheye effect, thanks to the curved focal plane.

As developer I use Caffenol-C (a mixture of sodium carbonate, instant coffee and ascorbic acid). It has turned out to be quite good and I like the idea of using household materials, not having to order from special suppliers. By the way, the only things I've had to order online are paper and fixer. Some paper negs have come out quite contrasty, others have been pretty dark with low contrast. I think it has to do with the compensating nature of the developer and possible overexposure. I still have to experiment with exposure times to get it just right.

Here's one example, which I consider my best shot so far. It's a church in the centre of the town I live in. The shadows of the branches impressed me and made me take the picture. The great significance of light and shadow is a thing I really love about B&W.

Now the sun is shining and it's going to be a beautiful winter day. I've got to get up and take some pinhole photographs!

Cheers,
    Sakari
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SakariKapanen; 03-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.

That's a stunning image. Welcome aboard! I look forward to more of your pictures, if they are of this standard then we are in for a treat!

Hello Sakari now that's a cracking image. After viewing your image I really must give Caffenol-C another go! Colin

looks great! welcome to F295! Glad to have you with us!

Great image! Welcome to F295.....

Welcome to F295, nice start!

Nicely done!

Welcome to f295! I look forward to seeing more of your photos.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Welcome to the group. That's a great shot and those branch shadows really make it.

Thank you all for your kind words. It feels great to be a part of a community with such a warm and constructive atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by colray
    After viewing your image I really must give Caffenol-C another go!
    Caffenol-C is worth a try for sure. The image I posted isn't even one of the better ones in terms of development. Exposure seems to have quite an impact on contrast when developing in Caffenol. Now I think I've tamed exposure on sunny days. My images used to be overexposed by at least one stop, resulting in dark negatives and low contrast.

Welcome to F295, good first picture.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast