Thread: Meniscus Lens Test Images

Meniscus Lens Test Images

I was recently given a bag of old photographic goodies, among which was a +4 diopter accessory glass close-up lens in 52mm thread mount. This is a coated glass meniscus lens (concave on one side, convex on the other), with a focal length of around 250mm. I noted, after some initial tests, that it appeared to cover an 8x10 image area, and so I fashioned an adapter plate to mount the lens in my 8x10 tailboard camera.

This morning I made several test exposures, using pre-flashed Arista grade 2 paper. I'm pleased with the results.

~Joe

9mm aperture, 296mm focal length, f/33, 7 second exposure:

17mm aperture, 333mm focal length, f/19.5, 1.5 second exposure:
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Superb Joe, I especially like the 'Royal' image.

Thanks, Jimmy. Here's another, taken in my kitchen under the Solatube skylight. 341mm focal length, 17mm aperture, f/20, exposure 5 seconds.

I'm noticing the right side of the images are a bit darker than the left, looks like I need to examine more closely the centering of the lens against the aperture stops.

~Joe

"There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I went back into the work shop and recentered the lens mount to my aperture plates, hopefully eliminating the uneven vignetting. 15 second exposure onto pre-flashed grade 2 RC paper negative.

~Joe

Visit my F295 Gallery

looks great Joe! you've got paper negs down to a science, very nice.

Looks great. A pleasant wide area of focus smooth transition. The last one is 17mm too?
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Thank you for the kind comments. Though I might have the technical aspects down closer to being a science, the real difficulty is always employing these technical means for the sake of art. In that regard, I have much work to do, but what fun work it is, indeed.

Ned: Yes, the last image was also a 17mm aperture.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery