Thread: A problem

A problem

Well, it's a good problem, but let me explain. I've been making 5x7 paper negative pinhole photos... started out just as an idea that it would be fun to make pinhole photos of neat trees where I live. The negatives look really great and so do the contact prints. Then I started imagining what an 8x10 negative might look like. So Saturday I built an 8x10 pinhole camera. Today I made my third picture with it and got the exposure close to right... and well, it looks amazing. So now what would an 8x10 negative look like from a camera with a lens? Or an 11x14 negative! Or an 8x10 on FILM! Uh oh. This is inexorable, isn't it!? You guys should warn people about coming here.... Sure is fun, isn't it! I'm glad there is a forum where so much knowledge and information accumulates.
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 03-25-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: clarity

Today's small lens cameras come fairly close to large format film in image quality. You have to compare large original prints to really see the difference. In pinhole photography, a big increase in negative size makes a moderate increase in the amount of detail that can be captured. With good lenses, the amount of detail increases dramatically. Beware, it's contagious and addictive.

sounds like Ned is at the beginning of an addiction that will eventually pervade every aspect of his life. (I see cameras everywhere...)

Luckily, he's found a community of enablers. We don't intervene. We'll enable. And when you bottom out, we're there handing you another piece of film. Just one more....

Beware all ye who enter here!

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    Ned - I have been making pinhole images on all different sizes of film since 2004. Last year, I finally broke down and bought a 4x5 view camera and some lenses, and man, oh man, is that ever fun to use. The images are amazing, and I can frame the image on the ground glass and then swap the lens for a pinhole for even more control of my lensless images. I will eventually own a bigger lens camera, but for now my really big cameras are lensless. As soon as my roll of 24 inch wide Harman Direct Positive paper arrives, I will be making one-of-a-kind pinhole images with my two 12"x20" cameras. Won't that be fun!!

You have started down a path of endless fun, great photographs, and as much money as you care to spend. Enjoy the ride!
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Wow! Earl, I would love to see a 12x20 direct positive image in person. So far my total cost has been close to zero.. I buy photo paper for my normal photography anyway, and just sneak a few out for pinhole. I still get amazed at the pictures you can make from a piece of photo paper and a coffee can or a cardboard box.. there's a sort of magic too with the light hitting the paper directly. Next up for me is the popcorn can in the garage for 11x14!

Cheers!

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    I have a couple of big popcorn tins that will be able to take 14"x24" sheets. I plan to install multiple pinholes for rise and fall, and might even try some zone plate and photon sieve apertures.

there's a sort of magic too with the light hitting the paper directly.
    Directly is right - with a pinhole, there's only air between your subject and the light sensitive material.
    Last edited by earlj; 03-26-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Ned you have started another problem... I really must get and take some pictures.

Colin I'm looking forward to seeing them!

Yes... When I make a film camera picture, I sometimes think of the light passing through one lens and onto the film... then back through the film and enlarger lens onto the paper. There is a simple sort of symmetry there that I like very much. But pinhole images take that to another magical level, I think that's part of the reason why I find the negative itself captivating.

But there's something else too, and I started feeling it as soon as I first made a picture with a coffee can... the simplicity and sense of fun is also freeing. Photography is only a hobby for me and all fun, but there is a carefree aspect to pinhole that I particularly like.

I've been remiss setting up my profile here at f295. You can see the camera and some pictures on my flickr account. I'm not a purist so you can close your eyes if you're afraid of digital...

This is the only true slippery slope. I have now found myself stalking ebay cameras just so i can get the lens and shutter out (stuff like the pathfinder etc). Way too addicting.

its a funny one isnt it! build that first one and bam! hooked!

really glad there is a community of like minded people!