Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A traveling camera project?

A traveling camera project?

I was talking to a colleague who is about to undergo a medical procedure and we talked about how weird anaesthesia was. That reminded me of the photographs of my cataract surgery, so I searched “cataract” in f295 and also came up with this thread.

I actually started that camera on it’s way, but life intervened at some point and I never found out what happened to it. Probably a good thing, because I later discovered it wasn’t really very light tight (I had made another camera out of the same material).

Anyway, I got out the stereo camera I made to replace that one and tarted it up with a new layer of 3M #235, a winder minder, and a new three layer shutter, like I made for the Portrait camera and the Chaneloflex, and a level and shot a roll for old times sake.

I participated in at least two around the world camera projects. Pinhole Doug sent around an Argus C3 (not entirely sure that was the model, but it was one of those brick-like 35mms) when he was organizing his pinhole geocaching project for everyone to take one frame and send on, and I shot a couple rolls with Daryl’s notorious Lady in Red pinhole seive.

There was another one where participants took a self portrait against a dark background on one side of a 4x5 film and sent it on and the next person exposed themselves (!?) on the other side. I'm pretty sure earlj and gneissgirl were in one of those. I can't find the thread on f295. Not sure if they sent the whole camera or just the film holder.

I think there was a Blender that did some traveling with each partipant shooting a single exposure on one roll of film, which with that camera yielded a single very wide image.

I still think this stereo camera would be a good candidate for such a project. I’m curious to see what you lot would come up with in stereo. 35mm is out of the comfort zone of a lot of you. That alone would be interesting. It doesn't weigh very much so shipping wouldn't be too much of a burden even for those who had to cross an ocean to get it to the next participant.

We could probably get Tom to set up a special forum.

So, whaddya think?

StereoPopulist.jpg
    Last edited by dvoracek; 03-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

i think that sounds really cool... I would love to participate in something like that!

This reminds me of a camera exchange we did years ago on F295, where I (rather naively) sent a nicely crafted large format paper roll-film camera, along with instruction booklet, and it never made it past Chicago where, I'm assuming, it still resides with its "new owner." I ended up doing a bit of detective work and was able to track down his significant other, who informed me that he had a whole collection of such pinhole cameras, gathered in a similar manner. I ended up resigned to accept the loss, the pain being in how much time and effort I had spent on designing and building that camera. But it left a bitter taste in my mouth for future camera exchanges. It was my fault for sending a camera of such personal value, but I was intent in sharing the experience of using it with others on the forum, so at least my intentions were good.

The stereo Populist looks like a good candidate for such an exchange.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    Nick -

Does the camera that you refer to look something like this?

populistweb.jpg
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Blog Entries
    If so, then I am willing to load it up take a shot or two, and send it along to someone else. Maybe we could have two of them circulating. Nick - make some rules.
    Last edited by earlj; 03-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    because:
    -Don Van Vliet

Blog Entries
    Here is my double self portrait that was made as a test of my 30 Double Pinhole Portraits project. Participants were Ralph Y, Marv, Heyoka, gneissgirl, Knut, and myself. The idea was to take a self portrait on one side of 5 sheets of 4x5 film against a dark background, and then send the film holder to each of the other 5 participants, who would shoot their self portrait on the other side of the same image. We had a hard time getting the exposures to match up, and not all the film holders came back from wherever they went. It was a great concept that was very difficult to pull off. I would love to try it again some time, though.
    Last edited by earlj; 03-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    because:
    -Don Van Vliet

Does the camera that you refer to look something like this?
    Wow, I thought that one was made from a yellow Canfields box that wasn't quite opaque. I guess I've made more of these than I thought. That's not the one from my paradoxical Populist offer, is it? If it's the original traveler-to-be, send it back and I can tart that one up too and send them in opposite directions if we get enough interest.
    Last edited by dvoracek; 03-24-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

I'd be happy to setup a special forum for this -- i think it's a great idea!

Joe, I'm really sorry to hear about your camera loss... I'm surprised that someone would do such a thing! esp. in a serial way....

t

I am 100% interested in the project! Sounds very cool.

-Ryan (in Connecticut)

I am interested too. I am also really intrigued to see how well a "winding on rule" works; there may be some interesting double exposures when viewed in stereo!

Best regards,

Evan
    More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast